Monday, April 10, 2017

Easter Basket Tag for Avaleigh


Hello friends.  Happy Holy Week and post-Spring Break week.  This Sunday is Easter, and a rarity - it is both Western and Eastern Orthodox Easter (they rarely fall on the same date and an explanation of this will be provided below for Nerds like me who like to know these things).  

I am hosting the Cricut Challenge at Bitten By The Bug 2 this week and have selected the theme Easter for the projects. I asked the Design Team and you (!) to craft projects for Easter.  You may choose a card, a layout, a tag, or a home decor project. 

For my project I decided to make Easter tags for Avaleigh's and Jude's Easter "baskets" - though their baskets from GranDoug and I are really embroidered burlap bags from Pottery Barn as we are not their Easter Bunny. Today I will share Avaleigh's girly Easter tag with you.


I used five Cricut cartridge to create Avaleigh's tag.  The basic tag was cut from the Sweethearts cartridge.  I used a strip of lace from the Vintage Wedding cartridge and welded the lace to the bottom of the tag back layer creating the beautiful and delicate lower edge of the tag. The flowers, greenery, and Chickie were cut using Flower Market.  I had never made the daffodils before and am pleased with how they turned out. They were much easier than I had feared.  The Easter eggs were cut using the Easter Magic cartridge.  I edited colors to make each egg individualized. The banner was cut using the Winter Wonderlands cartridge. I removed the original wording from the tag and the Happy Easter sentiment was written on the banner using the add text feature on the Cricut.  I am not going to lie, I spent several days designing this tag.  I would go in and out of Design Space and tweak the design daily until I was finally happy. As I have previously stated, I do like designing on the virtual mat in Design Space.


I thought you might like a close up of some of the detail on the tag.  I added additional rectangles and strips of paper to the background layer of the tag, then used daubers to apply subtle colors of ink to the layers, flower, and banner edges.  I used dimensional dots to layer the elements on the card. The tag was attached to the bag using cream colored faux silk (seam binding) ribbon.  


In the photo above you see both Avaleigh's and Jude's tags.  I will give you more detail on Jude's tag tomorrow.  

If you have not already been by the Bitten By The Bug 2 blog, run do not walk!  There are some amazing Easter Projects on display... including several GREAT Easter layouts and cards.  My Design Team sisters are loaded with talent!!

I would like to invite YOU to join our Cricut challenge this week.  Use any Cricut cartridges to create an Easter themed project, then share with use by linking under the original post at Bitten By The Bug 2 blog.

Thank you for stopping by today.  



Easter date notes for the other ecclesiastical nerds out there:
In the Western Christian churches in the year 325 the Council of Nicaea established that Easter would be held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox.  From that point forward, the Easter date depended on the ecclesiastical approximation of March 21 for the vernal equinox.  In simpler terms, we have to await the season change on March 20/21, then we wait for the first new moon after the season change, then Easter is on the first Sunday following that full moon.  

Where this differs in the Eastern Orthodox Church (Greek, Russian, etc) is that they use the same initial perimeters as above - the first Sunday following the first new moon following the equinox -  but they include the additional criteria of FOLLOWING PASSOVER.  The Orthodox Church, in my opinion, got this requirement correct.  Jesus went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover so to me it makes sense that Passover should play into the formula. 


This year Passover was earlier so that the two dates lined up. 

.
  

4 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Both are super sweet!

moknowsall said...

Absolutely stunning tag! I can see why it took you a week to create. It's a perfect keepsake as well. Thanks for hosting.

Amy Ottmers said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Craftaholics, good luck!!! Amy DT

Janis Lewis said...

Sweet! Thanks for joining us at Craftaholics R Us!
~Owner/DT Janis