Monday, January 23, 2017

Hello Kitty Ice Skate Shadow Box


Hello friends! Are you ready for another chilly winter Cricut challenge?  This week at Bitten by the Bug 2 we are celebrating my favorite wintertime activity, Ice Skating.  I loved ice skating when I was growing up in Michigan. I skated all the way through my college years.  I thought because much of the country is having real winter weather, unlike South Carolina, that we might make projects featuring my favorite winter activity.

I decided to try something different - challenge myself - and make a shadow box card.  The shadow box could be used as a card, with the sentiment and message applied to the back.

I did not have a file for the shadow box base, so I used basic shapes in Design Space and designed my own box cut.


I realized that I would need a method for layering the cuts into the shadow box that would allow for dimensional placement.  I created an accordion fold piece to fit in the bottom of the box with a square and scoring lines.  


The next hurdle I faced was a need to add length to the planned elements so that they would be visible from the front of the box, but would still be attached to the accordion piece. I welded long narrow rectangles to the base layer of Hello Kitty and the penguin from Hello Kitty Holiday cartridge.  This allowed me to attach the figures between the layers at the bottom of the card, but still allowed the entire figure to appear in the front opening.  


Once I created the box and the accordion, and edited the skating figures, I began designing the scene for the shadow box.

For the background with the snowy hill and snowflakes, and the title, Baby it's Cold Outside, were from the Family Album cartridge.  I made a couple of changes to the background and I added the frozen lake.

Other cuts and cartridges used in creating this shadow box include:  a frame from Artbooking to serve as the front of the box, the cups of hot chocolate and donut cuts are from the Go Canada cartridge, the Brrrrr cut is from Winter Woodlands.



Have you been by the Bitten by the Bug 2 blog this week?  My design team sisters have made some really cute ice skating cards and layouts. We also have a giveaway going this month.


Everyone who joins one of our challenges in January will have the chance to win a box of wonderful supplies generously donated by Cricut:  mats, more mats, two cartridges and a brand new scraper!  We will still have our regular project of the week winners - who receive a hardy congratulations - but all of the January participants will go into a random drawing for the Cricut prize box.  For more chances to win, plan to join our challenge every week in January!!

 

6 comments:

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

Lovely creation, Susan! Love the image, sweet kitty and idea is fun too!

Caroline said...

Oh my goodness, this is total Fabulousness! This shadowbox with "Hello Kitty" is so much fun! I love the title and also how you added the hot cocoa. Amazing is all I can say!

snappy scrappy said...

Sooooo cute!

Lynn B. said...

This is so cute! Great job designing the shadow box.

Laurie Levorson said...

Wow, you really went all out on this beautiful creation! Good job on designing this complicated project--I'm impressed! I always enjoy seeing your cute Hello Kitty projects.

moknowsall said...

Wow - amazing - all that work paid off - your card /box is spectacular! Hello Kitty seems pretty happy herself! I bet you are thinking of all kinds of cuts for future cards in that box/frame. What a very special card.