Sunday, June 5, 2016

DIYing Ourselves One Project Too Far


Hello everyone.  I know that it has been two weeks since I posted a project on my blog, and that I am now missing my second Bitten By The Bug 2 challenge in two weeks (!!), but I have not been sitting around twiddling my thumbs.  I have been very busy since the Friday before Memorial Day.   

Doug and I decided to switch out the carpet in our home for wood flooring, and to save the cost of installation and do it ourselves (with serious help).  I think I can safely say that this is the LAST big project that we will DIY.  The flooring looks fabulous, but I am not going to lie, it was a BIG JOB.  


My job began the night before we actually started on the floors.  I had to remove the all of the china, crystal, etc. from the china cabinet, the buffet, and all of the glassware and china from the antique cabinet in the hallway.   Remember my once clean scraproom I wanted to share with you?  It is now the home to all of the boxes of china cabinet, etc., contents.  I literally can not cross the room to my desk because we have stored so many boxes in the scraproom.  So, I am missing the challenge again this week.  The good news is, however, that we moved all of the furniture back into place in the dining room so I WILL have a project next week.  I WILL be emptying out my scraproom again this week.


The photos above show some of the transitions in the flooring project.  In the top photo my older son, Aaron, is taking up the carpet tack strips in the dining room after removing carpeting and padding.  

In the second photo I am attempting to show you how nice the floor in the dining room looks.  It may be difficult for you to discern the proportions as the ceiling in the dining room is 18 feet high.  I was trying, without great success, to show you the floor and the wall of "where we have been" photos. 

The third photo is of Doug and our wonderful son-in-law, John, working on one of two hallways.  We discovered that doorways are the worst!!  Not only did John and Aaron assist us, but also our daughter-in-law, Crissie, was a huge help.  In addition to family members, two of our neighbors donated time to our flooring.  Each of them had also done their own wood flooring.  Their expertise helped us a lot.


The photos above and below are of our great room.  Do not look too closely or you will see DVDs on the mantle, stamp sets on the coffee table, etc.  As in the other rooms, I have not finished all of the details in this room either.  I still need to switch out the window treatments, the candles in all of the holders (to change the colors), and to finish putting away displaced "stuff."   But at least you can get an idea of how far we have come.   I am hoping that this next week sees us settled in and getting back to normal.


I will be back with a Close To My Heart post later this week.  I have all of the June news to share with you.  But for now, I am going to go pass out in my bed.  This DIY flooring thing is NOT for wimps!!


No comments: