Monday, February 22, 2016

National Margarita Day Card


Hello friends!  Happy National Margarita Day! My sweet Design Team sister, Kelly - who is out on break, selected this week's Bitten By The Bug 2 Cricut Cut Challenge.  Can you guess what she chose?  Fiesta themed projects!  

I have a true life Margarita story to tell you.  When I was expecting my second child, my daughter, all summer I craved a margarita.  But being a very conscientious expectant mother I would not partake of even a sip.  Near the end of the summer my friends got together and created a mock margarita for me, using all fruit juice concentrate.   I was six months along had only gained six pounds at the time of the mock margarita reveal.  I went to the doctor a couple of weeks later and in a single month I gained five pounds.  All of that concentrated juice!  Fortunately the weather became colder (up-state New York) and I put away the blender.  


I used three Cricut cartridges and basic shapes to create this card.  I visualized a background of Mexican tiles.  With basic squares and iron works from Ornamental Iron 2 I created my tiles.  I muted the colors so that the tile did not over power the sentiment, Bottoms Up - cut using the Pack Your Bags cartridge.  The basic Margarita is from the Mixed Drinks cartridge. 

I cut the bottom Margarita layer twice so that I could add pop dots between the two bottom layers and add dimension to the drink.  I wanted to pop the drink off of the page so that it was not muted into the background.


If you have not already done so, please go by Bitten By The Bug 2 and check out the other Fiesta themed projects the Design Team made.  They are an amazing group of paper crafters.   We hope that you might choose to join us in the Fiesta themed challenge this week.  

Thanks for stopping by.  This is the last full week of the Close To My Heart specials.  Click HERE to shop my on-line store.

We have two specials this month at Close To My Heart:



Get this D-Size February Stamp of the Month set for $5 with a $50 purchase! Add the stamp set to your cart for full price ($17.95), or with a $50 order add the stamp set during checkout at the promotional price!   



Share The Love in February


Close To My Heart is giving you the opportunity to help us support an amazing cause, Operation Smile, an organization that provides surgeries to repair cleft lips and palates for children all over the world.  With the purchase of this special stamp set, SHARE THE LOVE, you will be helping to share the love with children world-wide.



Filled with adorable icons and sentiments, this stamp set will be a great addition to your stamp collection.  Not only will you get a swoon-worthy stamp set for taking part in this special promotion, but Close To My Heart will donate $7 of proceeds from each stamp set sold to Operation Smile.  I hope you pick up this adorable stamp set and spread a smile on a child's face!!   



4 comments:

Brenda said...

Such a fun card Susan! Heck this whole theme was a fun challenge. I love your tiles, the colors and papers are fabulous. Your drink looks so yummy and I love the sentiment. I also loved hearing about your margarita story. Yes, those fruit juices are high in calories, but I bet it was oh so good! lol Glad it got cold and you put the blender away. Hugs, Brenda

Caroline said...

Wow, I love the tiles you created behind your image. I enjoyed your pregnancy story! This is such a pretty card!

Scrapping Girl said...

What a funny story!!!! LOL! I remember the pregnancy cravings…glad those days are behind me. LOVE the tiles behind the drink-makes me feel the Mexican fiesta vibe going on with the yummy beverage waiting on the patio….I'm imagining I'm back in Cozumel. Hope things are holding together for you on the home front as you juggle caring for your mom and sweet granddaughter.
:)
Michelle

moknowsall said...

I think I have to cook Mexican this week - so many great and colorful projects! Love your tile work and the margarita - it looks refreshing.... and all the pieces to this card - just amazing.

maureen