Monday, February 8, 2016

Modern Art St. Valentine Layout


Hello friends, welcome to this weeks Bitten By the Bug 2 challenge.  My sweet and very talented Design Team sister, Caroline, selected this weeks challenge - Use a Cricut cut HEART on your project.  I created this two page layout for this week's challenge, using three Cricut cartridges to cut or draw all of the elements.  


I began with two 12 x 12 inch sheets of Close To My Heart Watercolor paper.  Using Close To My Heart Watercolor Paints and Watercolor Brushes, along with a cup of water and a sponge, to create the background pages.  I used four colors of paint on very wet paper.  After the majority of the paint had dried I splattered the page with a hot pink color of paint using water and the edge of the largest paint brush.

I allowed the pages to dry, blotting any excessive water away with my sponge.  I used my blow dryer to be sure that all of the fibers in the paper were very, very dry before moving on.   



My layout pages were designed in Cricut Design Space, with the white sheets reduced to 11.5 x 11.5 inches.  I attached the black heart art from the Monogram Motif cartridge to the white pages, flipping one to be a mirror image of the other.  I used a fine tip Cricut black pen to draw the heart with the Explore.  After the drawings were complete, the Explore trimmed the pages down to size. 


Once the cutting and trimming were complete, I used Close To My Heart Watercolor Pencils to color in various shapes on the pages.  The white pages were then glued to the teal backgrounds.

I used three cartridges to cut the remaining page elements:  Monogram Motif, Valentine's Day, and Art Philosophy.  The roses in a heart shape were cut using Valentine's Day.  I added additional hearts from Valentine's Day behind the rose hearts.  The blue and pink layered floral hearts were cut using the Monogram Motif cartridge.  The circles and scalloped circles were cut using Close To My Heart's Art Philosophy cartridge.  

I finished the layout by adding white ink pen doodles around the scalloped edges.  I plan to use Valentine's Day photos from various family members.  Of course that large circle, which will hold a 5 x 5 inch photo, if for Avaleigh's St. Valentine photo!



I know I mentioned several Close To My Heart products in this post.  I am still learning to use our watercolors with paper crafting, but we do have a fabulous set of paints, brushes, watercolor paper, and watercolor pencils.  I am having a great time learning to combine watercolors with scrapbooking and card making.  I have linked all of the products in the text, but I am also adding photos and links below.





While you are at my Close To My Heart on line store checking out the watercolor line, be sure to check out this month's specials:


Get this D-Size February Stamp of the Month set for $5 with a $50 purchase! Add the stamp set to your cart for full price ($17.95), or with a $50 order add the stamp set during checkout at the promotional price!   



Share The Love in February

Close To My Heart is giving you the opportunity to help us support an amazing cause, Operation Smile, an organization that provides surgeries to repair cleft lips and palates for children all over the world.  With the purchase of this special stamp set, SHARE THE LOVE, you will be helping to share the love with children world-wide.



Filled with adorable icons and sentiments, this stamp set will be a great addition to your stamp collection.  Not only will you get a swoon-worthy stamp set for taking part in this special promotion, but Close To My Heart will donate $7 of proceeds from each stamp set sold to Operation Smile.  I hope you pick up this adorable stamp set and spread a smile on a child's face!!   


Thank you for stopping by today.  If you have not already done so, please go by the Bitten By The Bug 2 blog and check out the A-MAZ-ING Valentine projects my Design Team sisters created.  They completely WOWed me this week!    I will be back with two more posts this week, so be sure to check back!



4 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh my goodness, how gorgeous is this. You created such beautiful background paper. The Valentine hearts are so pretty. I can imagine The pics that you will put in this beautiful layout!

Sharon said...

How awesome!!! Your layout just blows me away Susan!! I am so loving how you did the background. And the drawn hearts are just breathtaking. And I so love the other hearts and scalloped circles. So beautiful!!!! :)

moknowsall said...

wow - what a lovely and interesting layout. it's way beyond anything I could ever think of. looking forward to more of your works of art. happy v=day

Laurie Levorson said...

Susan, your layout is very impressive! So many techniques and mediums make this quite the work of art! Love it!