Monday, August 31, 2015

Teacher's Pencils For The Classroom


Hello friends, welcome to this week's Bitten By The Bug 2 challenge.  This week's Cricut challenge was selected by our fabulous Design Team member, Emily. Emily challenged us to create a project with our Cricut using the theme, "Back to School".  

Since the only people going back to school in my life at the moment are my teacher children, I decided to finish a project I began some time ago and use it for this week's challenge post.

As most of my regular readers are aware, two of my children and their spouses are teachers.  Three of them work in the elementary school setting and find that the students constantly lose their pencils, thus my Teacher's Pencils containers.


The containers are actually straw dispensers like you would find at an old fashioned soda fountain.  Fortunately the straw dispensers are also the perfect height to hold standard pencils.   I created three of the pencil holders (my son, who teaches high school, told me that if his students do not know by the time they are in high school to bring pencils, then they are out of luck in his classroom!), one for John and one each for Bethany and Crissie.  John's design is very different from the girls, but that will be fine with him.  


I used three Cricut cartridges to cut the vinyl for my dispenser:  Recess - for the pencils, Artiste - for the Teacher's Pencils font, and Anna Griffin's Monograms for the monogram centers in the apples.  The apples themselves are from my SVG library.  

Below is a close up of the front of Crissie's pencil dispenser, including her NEW married monogram.  The colors are a bit dark in the photo.  The leaf and the initials are actually a dark green vinyl.


I mentioned above that John's dispenser is of a different design.  John is a huge soccer fan, especially Arsenal.  I added an SVG soccer player to John's dispenser and even dressed the little guy in Arsenal colors!  Instead of monogramming, John's dispenser reads, "Mr. Ross's Pencils".  



I am really pleased with my back to school projects for the BBTB2 challenge.  My Design Team sisters came up with equally fun and creative projects to share, so be sure to go by the Bitten By the Bug 2 blog and check out their great projects.  While you are there, check the sidebar for the rules, then join us in this fun theme challenge!!!

I know there are cheaper and lighter weight straw dispensers out there, but THIS IS A LINK to the dispensers I purchased at Amazon..

Today is the final day to order many of the retiring Close To My Heart products.  That is the bad news.  The good news is the new annual inspiration catalog starts tomorrow, as well as the seasonal mini book.   Check out my previous post (HERE) for details on the retiring items.  


Thanks for stopping by today!!!


4 comments:

Caroline said...

I really love your monogrammed pencil dispensers and that cute soccer guy! What a great idea. I love how these straw dispensers work for the pencils. Your children are so lucky to have such a creative Mom.

Sharon said...

I so love these pencil dispensers Susan!!! The soccer player is great and I love the monograms!!! :)

Scrapping Girl said...

My kids tell me they are amazed at how many students never seem to have a pencil! So I know that these pencil dispensers are much needed for your teacher kiddos and will get serious use! (I think I should buy stock in Ticonderoga, because my kids are pencil snobs and ONLY like the Ticonderoga #2 pencils, extra sharp, please.) The monograms in the apples look great and I love how you personalized the soccer one! Really really creative and fun!!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the new CTMH catalog!
:)
Michelle

moknowsall said...

School is Cool - I wish I had your kids as teachers - I am sure they are popular with the kids.

Love your pencil holders - so creative - and that chevron apple - oh my!!! LOVE IT!

congrats on getting some wedding pics in the catalog - that's so special.

maureen