Monday, June 15, 2015

Summer Lobster Boil Card



Hello everyone! Now that I am back on the Bitten By The Bug 2 Design Team (following the shortest retirement in history), I have a new project to share.  Today is National Lobster Day, and coincidentally, Lobster is our Cricut Challenge Cut this week.  My sweet and talented DT sister, Maureen, is hosting this fun challenge.

I ADORE lobster!  As a child my mother used to order lobster when she was dining out at business dinners with my dad and my uncle.  Since this happened prior to the Carter Administration (yes, I am old!), the family was also a business write-off.  Consequently it was cheaper for my brother and I to go along than to stay home with a baby sitter.  My mom began developing my palate early, offering me bites of her lobster from a very early age.  I was hooked by the time I was in elementary school!



As I thought about the Lobster Challenge I decided to create a Lobster Boil themed box card. Because what is more fun that inviting over friends and enjoying a lobster boil on a warm summer evening? (Of course in Aiken that is a very hot summer evening)!  I decided to try out a new box card and I used Narelle Darley's card that she shared in the facebook group "Cricut Lover's Guide to Design Space." The card file cuts wonderfully and includes the panel cover cuts as well as the box and the insert.  The only problem I encountered was I did not check the measurements and "assumed" this box was as large as my other "go to" box card.  As it is smaller, all of my box elements are a bit too large.


I am not sure if you are ready for this, but here goes:  in addition to Narelle's box file, I used seven (7!!) Cricut cartridges to make this card.  The cartridges and cuts are:

  • Life's A Beach - Anchor and Life Preserver
  • Pack Your Bags - The Lobsters
  • Handyman - Bucket
  • From My Kitchen - Pot
  • Just Because Cards - Glass of Lemonade
  • Savory - Lemonade Pitcher and the Lemons
  • Block Party - The Grill Tools

I used the add text feature in Design Space and used a Cricut pen to write the "It's about to get HOT in here..." sentiment on the front panel.



I hope that you might join us in this week's Lobster Challenge.  I am so impressed by the great Lobster projects created by the Design Team!!  Please go by Bitten by the Bug 2 and check out their great projects.  Check the challenge rules on the sidebar then join us and share your Lobster project in the link up section under the Lobster post.

Also please remember that we currently have a Design Team Call going for Bitten by the Bug 2.  We would love to have you join our design team! Submit your three best projects to bbtb2dtcall@gmail.com by July 15th.




Thanks for stopping by today.  I actually made a second card today and look forward to sharing that with you this week!!


7 comments:

Caroline said...

I think you box card is just perfect the way it is. I love all the fun images in your box and wow, lots of cartridges. How did you keep track of them. When using the Explore, I forget what cartridges I am using. This box card is so adorable!

moknowsall said...

I didn't get hot but I got excited over your box card full of wonder lobster related items. So cheerful and so much to look at. I'm ready for a picnic.

maureen

Sharon said...

WOWZERS!!!! This is awesomeness for sure Susan!!! I am so loving your box card!! All of those cuts are most fabulous and I love the colors and papers you used!!! :)

Melanie Brown said...

Shut the front door! This is so great! How long did this take? It is so cute!!

Scrapper69 said...

WOW!!! LOTS of details!!! Very Cool! Have a Crafty Day!!!


Theresa
Scrappers Anonymous

Kirk and Melanie said...

Oh my goodness!! This is amazing!! It looks like you had LOTS of fun creating it!! Thanks for sharing!

Brenda said...

I found out 25 years ago that I loved lobster too Susan. lol I love your box card and the lobster boil, never had it, but would sure love to try it. Of course I think I would love to try anything you make! All the die cuts are just fabulous and perfect. This is an amazing box card! Hugs, Brenda