Friday, June 26, 2015

Paper Doll Box Card - You're a doll!



Hello friends.  I mentioned on Wednesday that I would have a new project to share today and this is it:  A Paper Doll Box Card!  Now I am going to confess that I saw a really cute box card posted in one of the Cricut facebook groups of which I am a member.  Someone had used vintage print and cut paper dolls and made a simply darling box card with them.  I do not pretend to come even close to that fabulous project, but it did inspire me to attempt my own paper doll box card.




I started by search Google images for vintage paper dolls.  I found several sets that I liked and downloaded two or three of those doll sets.  Using my Cricut Explore and Design Space, I sized the paper doll images and did a print and cut.  

For my basic box I used my favorite go-to box - one of the Thanksgiving Boxes from SVGcuts.com.  I love the shape of the box and the side fold down flaps that can be embellished so many different ways.  I cut the basic box in white, then I cut panel covers in an aqua rose print and a tiny pink rose print.  


Instead of going with the usual shape of the background on this box, I used edit features in Design Space to turn the door from the Christmas cartridge into a large window.  I added a window treatment using pop dots and rosette embellishments.  And because our little paper dolls must be celebrating some event, I added the pink and aqua pennant hanging over the window using pop dots.


For the decorative fold down flap, I cut decorative panels in the same aqua rosebud print.  I added a strip of cotton lace to the top edge as well as rose arrangements to the curved edges. I added a single round pop dot behind each decorative panel so that they would stay folded down, but still have some dimension.  


The bottom front of the box has an iron gate cut with Ornamental Iron.  I added a rose and the fun "You're a doll!" banner using pop dots.  I let the Cricut Explore write my sentiment for me so I did not even have to worry about stamp placement.


I used the two insert pieces that came with the SVG file.  I used scissors and trimmed away most of the stand up area to make the pieces small enough for the doll and her clothes and toys.  Her hats were a bit of a challenge, but I finally put dots of glue on the lower edges of the hats and attached them to the should tabs on her coat and dress.


I spent several days designing my Paper Doll Card Box, even after seeing the spectacular original paper doll box on facebook.  I kept tweaking the design to get something that was more original (the window) so that I did not just copy someone else's project.  In the end I am very happy with the box.  My sweet neighbor Courtney and her daughter came by last night and both loved the card in real life.

Thank you to whomever created the original paper doll box.  You inspired me and I had such fun making this box card!!


6 comments:

Scrapper69 said...

WOW!!! It's Gorgeous Susan!! Fabulous Vintage Box card! Have a Crafty Day! :)

Theresa
Scrappers Anonymous

scootingranny said...

Just love this!! TFS your wonderful ideas!

Sandy C. said...

I remember the other card you refer to. Both are fabulous!!!!! What cut did you use for the banner? Thanks. Sandy C.

Susan Edwards said...

Sandy C. the bottom front cut is Banner #M4601E from the Banners cartridge. The background pennant is #MFB138 from Bits and Pieces. I hope this is helpful information.
Susan

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness!!! This is so very beautiful Susan!!! I am so loving your box card!!!! :)

Brenda said...

This turned out amazing Susan! I love the paper doll and her clothes. Your papers are so sweet and perfect. I have to say that you rocked this card box!! Hugs, Brenda