Hello everyone. Today I am going to share a hybrid project I created for this week's Bitten By The Bug 2 challenge. Our talented Diana challenged us to use a Cricut Purse cut on this week's project. I took that a step further, and created a purse shaped mini-album, my first attempted at a mini envelope album.
I had a series of just awful photos - truly, my normally photogenic family all just looked not nearly our best in the series of photos I needed to scrap. The photographs were from Thanksgiving 2013 so it was past time to deal with them! I thought given all of the hidden photo areas in a normal mini album, that perhaps that could be an answer to my dilemma with this group of photos.
Having never made a mini album before, and only having seen the AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL mini album that my friend Susan M. created, I was at a loss on how to begin. So I spent 2 hours watching YouTube mini album videos! I ended up attempted a modified envelope album (modified because I changed the format orientation and had to open the envelopes differently). I also made my first attempt at the Kathy Orta pleated binding system.
Once I was ready to begin (after two hours of YouTube and a trip to Hobby Lobby for embellishments), I opened Cricut Craft Room and searched the term "purse." I selected the Sandra cut purse from the Suburbia cartridge. I liked the rectangular shape of this bag and that it was easy to stretch longer to accommodate my envelope size (6.5 inches long).
I cut several (and I do mean several!!) copies of this page in four different prints and then repeatedly in a very heavy card stock. I used scissors and trimmed away the handle section from each of my purse cuts. I used an oval cut and a square welded together to created the black and white print cut that wraps from the front of the album, over the spine, and onto the back, I then hand trimmed two of the purse print cuts and fashioned a front closure flap for my "purse".
I found two sheet of white 8 x 8 inch chipboard on a shelf in my scrap room (if you could see my scrap room right now, you would wonder HOW I managed to get through the door, much less find the chipboard) and I cut the chipboard to fit the purse front and back cuts. I then measured my binding and cut a piece for chipboard for the spine. I am not even going to pretend that putting the album together was simple - it was a bit of a challenge, mostly because I was trying to recreate the wheel with my orientation change.
While at Hobby Lobby, I looked in the jewelry making department and found the velvet ribbon embellishment with the ticket, the stamp, the bow, and the poof. I removed a large heart pin from the velvet ribbon and added the chain piece with the locket attached.
I added the rose sticker from the Kaiser Craft paper pack I was using. I added an extra swirl of Heartfelt Creations die cut vine I found on my desk as well as the HFC tag.
I fashioned a paper (triple layer) handle and attached it to the binding with bronze brads.
I could only find brass hardware at HL, so I visited the model department and purchased bronze paint that I used on all of the hardware.
Tomorrow I will show you the overly simplified pages and inserts inside the album.
I hope that you will take a few minutes and visit the Bitten by the Bug 2 blog today and check out all of the darling purse projects the design team created for this week's Cricut challenge. I invite you to create your own purse project and link up with us at BBTB2. Be sure to tell us which Cricut cartridge you used. Other challenge rules are on our side bar.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope your Monday is better than mine - I am off to the dentist to replace an antique filling!!