Monday, June 23, 2014

Heat Wave Summer Fun


Hello friends.  It is certainly hot here in the Southeast so my friend Melanie, who is hosting this week at Bitten by the Bug 2, selected a perfect Cricut challenge - Summer Fun.   I am ready for some summer fun!  I would love to be sitting by a pool, wearing my favorite sunglasses, and sipping a wonderfully cold drink!  But instead, I am on the less than two week countdown for Bethany's wedding, and helping my mom get settled.  But before we get into all of that, let's talk paper crafting!!

I used two cartridges and a Sizzix platform die to make my card.  I used the Sizzix Movers & Shapers XL Base Die-Card, Fancy Label Stand-Ups for the base card.  I then used assorted Cricut cuts from the Life's a Beach and Forever Young cartridges to create the other elements on the card.



I have a confession.  It was really nice to take another look at the Forever Young cartridge.  Just like with Paper Dolls Teen Scene from a previous BBTB2 challenge, I had not used the cartridge in quite a while.  It was nice to be reminded of what it was I liked I about the cartridge when I used it more frequently.  I think after the wedding I am going to make a point of using a wider variety of cartridges on my projects.


Now, about my mom.  Most of you know my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease a little over a year ago.  Sadly, I had been aware for at least 18 months prior to the diagnoses that she was having memory issues.  Recently we reached the point where we thought it would be wise for mom to sell her home and no longer live alone.  While she is not ready for full-time assisted living, neither did she need to be alone.

After much drama involving my brother, my mom moved into our home last weekend.  This is going to be a challenging adventure, one I hope to make with love and patience.  I also hope that after Bethany's wedding is over that we might be able to settle into a quite routine.

Now the wedding - is 12 days away!!  I have our final meeting with the caterer this week, as well as finish some projects I am making for the wedding.  Hopefully all of the projects will be finished by this weekend so that when we reach the actual wedding week, life will be less stressful.  I know, wishful thinking right?

Please do go by BBTB2 and check out the FABULOUS summer fun projects the design team created.  I confess that I almost did not post my card because it looked so sad next the team's projects.  They are an awesome group of crafters!!


13 comments:

katieo said...

Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. I pray for you and your family to have lots of happiness. You made a cheerful summer card. I love the drink and glasses.

Scrapping Girl said...

Susan, I hope things go smoothly as you settle your Mom in at your house-I'm sure many challenges lie ahead for your family as her disease progresses, but I hope that things go as well as possible. I'm sure you will all breathe a big sigh of relief after the wedding is over! Love your cute summer card-I want me a big sip of whatever yumminess is inside that drink while I wear fabulous shades to beat the heat!
:)
Michelle

Brenda said...

I love this easel card Susan, it is so fun!! The papers are just fabulous and so summery! I wish you could be sitting by a pool too with a nice cold drink, but maybe the end of the summer. Now would you please send your heat to us?!! lol We have nice days, but as soon as the water gets warm enough in the pool the temps drop and the water gets cold again. Boo hoo I'm glad you got your mom settle at your house and I know things have to be so stressful with all you have going on. Our wedding is this weekend!! Yikes, ready or not....I know you will be great with your mom too. You have the patience of a Saint!! Big hugs, Brenda

Stephanie said...

Fabulous card, Susan.
May you be blessed with extra patience in dealing with your new everyday life. I wish your mom well.
Please take tons of pictures of the wedding and all the things you made and share them with us.
Have a wonderful wedding.
Blessings to all of you.

Mayra Duran-Hernandez said...

This is the perfect summer card !!! Full of fun , and super cute !!!
Hugs,
Mayra
Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

DIANA L. said...

Your card is amazing Susan, I love all the different papers you used. Oh yes, Forever young was one of my must haves when it came out. I love how you used all the different elements from the cartridge to show summer fun.
Wishing you all the best with the wedding how fun!!! Keeping you in prayer that the you have strength and energy to assist your mom with her new living situation.
Have a blessed day, my friend.
DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

Caroline said...

Oh, I soooo love your card!! I love the pretty papers and design of your card. Fabulous!! I wish you the best in your challenges with your Mom and Alzheimer's. Enjoy the wedding, also!!

moknowsall said...

Your card says to me "let's go to the beach". Fantastic. Hoping all goes well for the wedding, I know you probably have every detail taken care of

Maureen

Sharon said...

What a super fun card!! Love the papers and those great cuts.
Praying all goes well and smooth with the wedding and with your Mom!! :)

Kathy Macko said...

your card was by far the best item on the list. Very summery!

Pam MacKay said...

Oh my goodness your card is so amazingly cute! I am going to have to use some of your wonderful ideas! Awesome job!! Sorry to hear about your mom. My dad has be suffering with the disease for 10 years. We finally had to move him into a nursing facility because he just got to hard to handle and was constantly falling. It is so sad. Your family is in my prayers.

Mollie said...

Susan, your card is AMAZING!!! I LOVE the colors and papers you used and the cuts are FABULOUS!!! I hope that your life will get a little less stressful in a couple weeks - GOOD LUCK with everything!!! I am sure the wedding will be wonderful!

Have a wonderful day!

Emily
Mollie's Motif

Laura Pizz said...

What a gorgeous and fun card!