Monday, May 12, 2014

Wise Owl Graduation Card



Hello everyone.  It is Monday and that means it is time for the weekly Bitten by the Bug 2 challenge.  This week's Cricut challenge cut (theme) was selected by my sweet Design Team member, Jaren.  Jaren selected the theme of School Days.  The School Days theme includes teacher gifts, field trip layouts, school programs, or, in my case, graduation.  

I knew so many graduates in last weekends college commencements.  So many relatives and children of friends were graduating from several different universities around the county.  I would like to give a special shout out to my VERY impressive twin cousins, Ashley and Karissa.  They graduated from Young Harris and NC State respectively.  Each received special awards and each has been accepted into graduate programs, complete with fellowships, one at Emory and the other at the University of Tennessee.  Congrats ladies.

With graduation on my mind I decided to try the Happy Graduation cartridge for this week's challenge.  I chose this graduating owl, a cut I had never previously dealt with.  I cut the owl in layers, editing the pieces as I went.  I don't know about you, but I think the owl looks depressed. Clearly he did not graduate with the accolades of my cousins!!  I told my husband that this owl is concerned because he does not have a job!!!

I added the two piece cut - the Congrats banner - to the front of my owl card.  Though honestly, this guy needs a sign that reads "Have degree/ Need Job!"  


Please go by the Bitten by the Bug 2 blog and check out the much better school projects the design team came up with.  I promise that their projects do not look like they need prozac!  Also, do think about crafting your own school project and joining us in this week's challenge.  All of the challenge rules are on the sidebar at the BBTB2 blog.



CELEBRATE NATIONAL SCRAPBOOKING MONTH



During National Scrapbooking Month in May, you can get the Free to Be Me paper collection for just $5 with your qualifying purchase of $50. The paper collection features exclusive printed cardstocks, vellums, and B&T Duos™ and, with a retail value of $11.95, is a fantastic deal for products you can’t get anywhere else. 

May Stamp of the Month - You've Got a Friend






With your $50 qualifying purchase, you will also qualify for the May Stamp of the Month for an additional $5 (retail value $17.95)! This means May is the perfect month to double up on promotions, getting the paper collection for $5 and the May Stamp of the Month for $5—that is a savings of nearly $20! So make sure to get your Free to Be Me paper collection in May for just $5 and let your creativity take flight!
Dates: Offer valid May 1, 2014 (9:00 MDT) – May 31, 2014 (11:59 pm MDT).



11 comments:

Brenda said...

I am loving this grad owl card, but like you think he looks depressed because he doesn't have a job!! lol I think that sign would be totally perfect for him to be holding. Especially this day and age when you need a degree but it doesn't mean you will get a job! I was looking all over for this cart (don't ask me why I didn't buy it when I saw it for $9!!) to make grad stuff with it. lol But it is hard to find now and if you do they want an arm and a leg for it! So that made me use other carts for my designs. lol Congrats to your cousins, how wonderful!!! Hugs

Laura Pizz said...

LOVE his GOLF glasses! So super cute! Have great week! ~Laura

Laura Pizz said...

Did I really write GOLF? I meant G-O-L-D! Silly me!

Mayra Duran-Hernandez said...

This is soo cute !!!! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day and hope you have a wonderful Monday !!
Hugs,
Mayra
Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

Mollie said...

Fabulous card, Susan! That owl is awesome!

Have a great day!

Emily
Mollie's Motif

Caroline said...

I love your owl shape card! Congrats to your cousins and their accomplishments! I think the owl looks scholarly, but I think you are right. He is definitely concerned about a job. Awesome card.

DIANA L. said...

Super fun card Susan. The colors are great I love it.
Have a blessed day
DIANA L.
dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Sharon said...

Look at those eyes!! Maybe he's shocked to find out that he graduated with honors!!! Love your card Susan and congratulations to your cousins!! :)

Pam MacKay said...

Your darling shape card made me smile! So cute!!

Jaren said...

His glasses are awesome! This is such a cute card!

Scrapping Girl said...

Lol, you are cracking me up-he does look kinda depressed now that you mention it. Maybe his student loans are all suddenly coming due….in addition to needing a job. Or it could be he is in shock that he graduated at all!!!! Congrats to your accomplished cousins-sounds like they have done fabulously well!
:)
Michelle