Monday, February 24, 2014

Stenciling with Cricut Cuts


Hello friends!  Welcome to this week's Bitten by the Bug 2 challenge.  My very talented Design Team sister Maureen chose this week's challenge - Use a Cricut cut as a stencil.  I have to admit that I found this challenge to be a bit more challenging than normal!  In fact, while I was in Spartanburg at the fund raising crop, my friend Peggy had to offer ideas on how to use a cut as a stencil.  I now realize that the options are limitless and I could have done so much more!


I call this card, "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing!"  I cut three flappers from the Art Deco cartridge (a 1920's themed cartridge that is fabulous) and placed them on a stage dancing (I kept joking about adding a pole to the card, but I did not add poles).  The more I looked at the dancers, I realized that they could be in a store window as mannequins, so I decided to add off-kilter window frames, trimmed with gems, in front of the dancers!  Can't you just picture the window display workers hanging the off kilter windows in front of the dancing mannequins?


I used my stencil to create the background Broadway stage effect, utilizing a cut from the Artbooking cartridge.  I ended up coloring in the negative areas and going back and adding marker highlights to the positive areas.  I matted the stage/window area onto a wonderful chevron Graphic45 print.

I finished the bottom front of the card by adding a strip of cotton lace across the edge of the window/stage area and topping the seam with champagne color seam binding ribbon.  I love seam binding ribbon.  It has silk feel and texture, without actually being silk!
When I was formatting the Bitten by the Bug 2 blog last night I was completely in awe of the stencil projects created by my fabulous Design Team.  These ladies rock!  You are going to love the cards, layouts, and home decor projects they created using stencils.  This was such a great challenge idea and I do hope that you join us in the Stencil Challenge this week!  But first, head straight over to Bitten by the Bug 2 and checkout the fabulous Design Team projects!



12 comments:

Brenda said...

Very cool card Susan and I love how you used your stencil! Yes, I could see decorators hanging off kilter frames around the dancing girls. lol Love this fun card! Hugs!

Jayne said...

Fab card Susan and knowing your themed parties that you host, this was so very you!Love it!
Fab challenge this week and amazing how everyone made such different projects.
Jayne x

moknowsall said...

All I can say is wow! So many pieces, layers, and colors! Great card, makes me feel like dancing. Jitterbug anyone?

MAUREEN

Laura Pizz said...

Wow, the amount of detail is incredible! Great work with stenciling! ~Laura

DIANA L. said...

Wonderful card I love the art deco flapper girls you used great colors. Have a great day
DIANA L.
dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Mayra Duran-Hernandez said...

Super fun card !! Fantastic design !!

Hugs,
Mayra
Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

Mollie said...

Fabulous card, Susan!!! LOVE those dancers and your b/g stencil looks awesome!!!

Have a great week!!!

Emily
Mollie's Motif

Caroline said...

Wow Susan, your card is just amazing. I love these dancing ladies and the stencil you used and how you created it. Beautiful.

Sharon said...

Love your flappers Susan!!! And I love the off kilter window frames. The lace and ribbon are just perfect. :)

Pam MacKay said...

Wow what an amazing design your attention to details is fantastic! Love it!

Jaren said...

Love all the details on this card! It came out so awesome!

Carol said...

Love this card...I am active in a dance community and am always looking for new dance image ideas...TFS!
XOXOX & Blessings,
Carol
hrhcva@gmail.com