Monday, January 6, 2014

Just Pedaling Along


Hello friends!  It's the first Bitten by the Bug 2 challenge of year and I am ready to play!  My darling Design Team sister, Brenda, selected this week's challenge.  I knew that January is National Papercrafting month, but it seems it is also National Hobby month!  Well being the brilliant woman that she is, Brenda combined the papercrafting and hobbies and challenged the Design Team to scrap their hobbies.  


When looking at my hobbies, of course papercrafting was my first and foremost hobby, but someone doing a layout about papercrafting was unappealing.  I have other hobbies:  reading, cooking, historical research, and theme parties... And bicycling.    I do not bicycle as much as I used to, which is good and bad.  

Ten to eleven years ago I was very serious about cycling.  I was pedaling about 150 miles per week.  I was also MUCH healthier and MUCH thinner.  After a cycling related injury and some lower back pain, I cut back a lot.  I still LOVE my bicycle.  I love the freedom I feel with the wind in my face and the self-challenge of going faster and further.


I used only one Cricut cartridge on this layout - Bicycling.  I used the Bicycling cartridge to cut the multi-layered bike in the lower left of the layout, the large background wheel, the bike helment (always wear a helmet - your brain is precious), and the "Ride Like The Wind" layered title.

I placed the cuts and two photos from a 350 mile charity ride in which I participated in 2003 onto an 11 x 11 inch piece of cork paper.  I applied a yellow 11.5 x 11.5 inch matting and a 12 x 12 inch black background sheet.  I added some chevron photo mats and stripes, as well as a few colored brads.  



The charity ride was a four day, 350 mile ride from Raleigh, NC to Washington, D.C.  It was a really tough ride and though I was happy to have participated, this ride was exhausting.  In the photos on the layout you can find me in the back row, third from the left on the full team photo, and on the far right holding up my bike and wearing a yellow boa in the candid photo.    


I hope that all of you take some time this week and think about your hobbies.  Hobbies are something that should make you happy, reduce your stress levels, and help you find peace and joy!  I hope you decided to join our first Bitten By The Bug 2 challenge of 2014.  Please be sure to check the sidebar rules at the BBTB2 blog before you link in your Cricut project.

Since I mentioned National Papercrafting month above, I am going to tell you about a Close To My Heart January special exclusively for National Papercrafting month.  This month only when you place a qualifying order ($35.00) you can add our Cloud Nine cardmaking kit to your order for only $15.00!!  

If you sign up as a new Consultant in January, you will get this card set as a  FREE bonus!










As always this stamp set retails for $17.95 (and can be ordered at that price) but can be yours for $5.00 with a $50.00 order.  And just like all of the limited edition stamp of the month sets, this set is available only until January 31st.




13 comments:

Carole Beath said...

This is wonderful, Susan. I am an all-around crafter, I do it all and have since I was 14. I have "scrapbooks" I did in the 50s, but of course they are so boring to look at now, the photos cut into wild shapes and circled comments abound. Look what we do now?...and your page is wonderful. I used to ride my bike too, but then one day, on my very own street, a lady backed out over me so the bike is hung in the garage.
Have a great week, my friend.
Carole

Rhonda Emery said...

love your layout tells all. hugs

Mayra Duran-Hernandez said...

This layout is so fun !!! I love the bike ,a nd the helmet !!! What a fantastic hobby !!!

hugs,
Mayra
Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

Jayne said...

Fabulous LO and piccies Susan! Wow that was a long ride! Love the bike cut... I didn't know there was such a cart!
Hugs

Mollie said...

Fabulous layout Susan! LOVE all of the details you added! I don't bike, so I applaud you and your love for it! Have a great week!

Emily - Mollie's Motif

Brenda said...

What an awesome layout Susan! I love that large bike wheel, the helmet is awesome-you are so right, I hate when people don't wear their helmets! And of course I love the bike. Your pictures are fabulous too, how cool that you cycled so much! Love it! Hugs!

Caroline said...

I really love how you put the large bike wheel in the background and the fabulous pictures! What a wonderful layout!

Melanie Brown said...

This turned out pretty awesome for something that you put together last minute. I am in awe of your talent!

Pam MacKay said...

Wow I love the big bicycle wheel and the colorful chevron paper! Fantastic job!

Sharon said...

WOW!! This is fantastic Susan!!! Love the big wheel in the bg. And the bike is great, as is the helmet. Wonderful photos. I've been trying to get hubby to buy us some bikes, but he is really fighting me on this purchase!!! :)

Laura Pizz said...

I really love this LO - that large diecuts and attention to detail! ~Laura

moknowsall said...

I didn't even know there was a bicycling cartridge. Love the big wheel as a background with all the other smaller elements. Great layout.

Maureen

Scrapping Girl said...

I didn't know there was a bicycling cartridge either! Love the layout-I have some biking pictures I need to scrap and am planning to scrap lift your design!
:)
Michelle