Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer is Really Here in Aiken


Hello everyone.  The title of this post does not refer to the southern summer heat, though it is warming up here.  I am talking about the summer bounty in my yard!  The roses, daylilies, hydrangeas, daisies, irises, butterfly bush, and blueberries are all beautiful!  We have had an abundance of rain this year and my plants have flourished in response.  Even the Tulip Magnolia is happy - it is actually blooming a second time!


I would like to say that I am most happy about the blueberries, this is their best year ever, but I love all of the pretty flowers too.  I have been going out each morning to pick a little basket of blueberries.  Yesterday I decided to splurge and make blueberry scones.  I planned for Doug and I to each have one and then I would freeze the rest and pull them out for breakfast.  Doug had other ideas... After wolfing down two, he suggested that I freeze my scones and leave him the rest!   I ended up freezing his too.  He'll be happier in the long run when his pants still fit!


The fresh baked berries are fabulous in the scones.  Too bad scones are not light and lean....


I decided that since the hydrangeas were so full and lovely, that I should bring a bouquet inside.  The pink bushes were smaller so I left those alone.  The cone shaped pinky-winky hydrangeas will bloom in  a few weeks and that will give me an entire new color to bring inside.  For now I went for the blue/purple bushes.  I snipped a few blooms from two bushes and placed the flowers in vases and pitchers.  I love having fresh flowers in the house!


I tried for a close up here, but I think the flash was a bit strong... sorry.

Thanks for stopping by today for my "ode to summer" post!  I will be back on Monday with a new Bitten by the Bug 2 post.  I wish you all a wonderful weekend!



1 comment:

DIANA L. said...

your hydrangeas are beautiful!!