Saturday, May 4, 2013

LOAD DAY 2 - Take a Stab


Hello everyone.  I did not forget what day it is, this is just one of my rare weekend posts.  I thought since I was doing the Layout a day class that I could offer up a Saturday post!  The prompt for day two in the LOAD 513 class was a weapon from the Clue game - the knife.  The theme of the day was "take a stab at it".  Lain offered up examples where the scrapper would use a piercing tool (my favorite tool) or stitching.  She said if you wanted to photograph a knife that would be fine too - as long as it is part of your story.  I decided to do a double page layout featuring the table top decor and menu from my Speakeasy party.


I started this layout with four photos and an idea to use the place setting cuts from Silhouette.  Then I remembered that I had this wonderful "Menu" cut and I found the frame in my frame file to use as a background.  And then it all came together!

I used two sheets of white 12 x 12 inch card stock for the base pages.  I cut the frame twice in textured black card stock at 11.5 x 11.5 inches.  I cut the word Menu in white card stock and highlighted it with goldish hued chalk.



I cut the place setting at 6.5 inches tall.  The plate was cut in red with a white shadow and the flatware was cut in white card stock and sprayed with silver glimmer mist.  While cutting I also cut three of the corner iron details in white and the red and white poker chip - to match those used on the table tops.


I used Microsoft Word to format my text boxes.  I printed the text boxes on smooth white card stock.  After trimming, the text boxes were matted in black and newsprint.  I finished the text boxes with the white iron corners.

The finishing touch on these two pages was the woven stitching added to the black frame edges.  Using my sewing machine I purposely sewed in a random waving pattern, going around the page twice.  


My blog is actually two days behind on my LOAD schedule... and with BBTB2 Mondays the blog will grow further behind.  I think I may have to pick and choose which layouts to share!!

Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend!



2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful layout, Susan. These are really gorgeous cuts.

Brenda said...

Amazing layout Susan!! I so love that frame, the title and everything!! lol Gosh there is so much to see, all the attention to details-it just blows my mind! I am totally in love with this layout! Hugs!