Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Event Wednesday - Speakeasy Party


It all started several weeks ago with the invitations above....  

Hello everyone and welcome to my final Event Wednesday post!  For those who might be new, during the months of March and April I have had a series of posts each Wednesday highlighting two spring parties I held.  The first was an Palm Sunday Tea Party with girlfriends and the second was a Roaring (19)20's Speakeasy Party with some of our couples friends.  The invitations above went out about a month ago and since then I have spent a day or two each week preparing for the party.

Our Speakeasy Party started at 6:00 pm last Saturday evening, but really did not get going until around 6:30.  We had jazz music, casual food, and a relaxed atmosphere in hopes of hosting a fun and stress free evening!  We scaled back on last year's Titanic Centennial Celebration in some ways, and in other ways we incorporated lessons learned from previous parties and had included more details. 



This year every single guest came in costume!!  And boy did they dress to impress!!  I was amazed at the effort and creativity of our guests.  Above Christina, Gordy, and Peggy are ready to get things started!  Below, our adorable immediate next door neighbors (each side), Jim & Charlotte and Tom & Penny, dressed to do Lindy Hop!  We are blessed with just the most fabulous neighbors and these two couples are wonderful.  They can turn a card game into an event with their lovely personalities!


Below:  Kim and Wendell came ready to do the Charleston - Wendell  like Jim, pulled out his Tux for a true 1920's fete while Kim wore a lovely fringe trimmed dress, long pearls and a classic 1920's cloche hat.


My sweet daughter, Bethany and her adorable beau, John looked fabulous.  Bethany's dress was amazing and she looked stunning -  and John looked so dapper!  Bethany's dress came from a company called Uniquely Vintage.  They have amazing clothing for vintage 20th century styles.  Both Bethany and John were a huge help in setting up outside and assisting with finishing details inside.


And here were are, the event hosts.  I went with a matronly 1920's look (as the over 50 crowd would have back in the day) and Doug was sporting the Great Gatsby whites and pastels.  I laughed at his shoes but of course I had on Anne Kline shoes, so my feet did NOT match my vintage look.



Because we were a Gin Joint Speakeasy (sans the Gin, by the way), I went with relaxed game themed table tops.  I used white table clothes and white cut work napkins and huge playing cards as place mats.  The cards worked fabulously and added color to each place setting.


I went with the easiest centerpieces ever - a face down huge playing card, hurricanes with candles, and roulette chips.  I had intended to add dominoes, but I confess that I forgot about them until Saturday afternoon.  At that point I decided I needed to relax in a tub more than I needed to run out and purchase dominoes!



I am truly annoyed with myself for forgetting to photograph the buffet tables.  My next door neighbor shared a few photos with me and I found the "edge" of the food tables in her photo below.  I cropped and tried to give you so idea of our food set up.  There were three food and drink stations:  A whiskey sour punch station and beer tub station, a sliders station (as we were sliding through time I thought sliders would be a great casual entree), and an "everything else" table.  After dinner the buffet "everything else" table was "flipped" and it became the dessert table.




Our menu included:
Vegetarian Sliders - a huge hit
BBQ Chicken Sliders
Ground Sirloin Sliders
Smoked pork loin and rolls 
Shrimp Etouffee and rice
Hash brown Casserole
Chickpea fruit and veggie salad
Hot corn dip and tortilla chips
Veggies and dip
Condiments



For dessert I made three different trifles and served them in mini glassware.  The first was my favorite Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle.  The second was a mini Brownie Trifle with Kahlua laced brownie, homemade chocolate pudding and whipped cream.  The last was a new trifle I decided to try - Tropical Cheesecake Trifle. This was similar to the Cheesecake Trifle except it included coconut milk and fresh pineapple. 



I wanted to include a "photo booth" set up this year but I could not figure out a way to do this without major construction.  I wanted a large photo frame suspended to stage photos - I guess that gives me something to work on for next year.  However I did make photo booth props for this party.  I had a jar of mustaches, head bands, hats, crown, hat, lips, and glasses for the guests to use.


Below my adorable friends Marcie and Garl are adorned with new facial hair.  


Below Bethany attempts to look gentlemanly in her lovely outfit!


John and Bethany playing with the props  - oddly I think he looks cute in those round glasses.  However, I do not want to see Bethany with a mustache!



Tom and Penny chose a mustache and heart glasses.  Penny is so much fun and Tom is so sweet - a perfect couple, perfectly adorned.



I love this photo of Wendell and Kim.  I honestly think Wendell needs to invest in a pair of round glasses!!  Very vintage looking!


Not to be outdone by Kim and Wendell, Christina and Gordy were hysterical with their props!  Gordy has a wonderful quick wit and a hysterical sense of humor and kept us laughing all through dinner.


I am including the photo below just because I love my friend Marcie so much.  Marcie is one of the most entertaining people I know.  She is also so kind hearted!




After dinner and dessert outside, Doug lit a fire in the fire pit, but even that did not help fight off the chill of our unseasonably cold night.  I passed out shawls and pashmina wraps to some of the ladies in order to keep them warm through dessert.  After dinner, however, we gave it up and moved inside to continue the evening. One funny moment was when someone realized that we had left the punch outside.  There was quick dash out to bring the punch inside with the guests!



We set up a Roulette table in our dinning room, because truly what kind of Speakeasy would we be if we did not have gambling and booze?  The roulette game went on for quite sometime with various people participating.  All in all, I think the Roulette game was a big hit!!



Above Christina, Gordy, and Garl place their bets... Their free-chips-without-value bets!  Below Bethany and Christina are happy because they are winning!!


My next door neighbor snapped a photo of me setting out the party favors.  It was early in the evening, but I wanted to be ready for when the guests departed later.


This party truly was a lot of fun.  We only had 15 guests as two couples could not make it and one spouse got a last minute job with his band.  But numbers truly did not matter.  What did matter was that we enjoyed out guests and the guests seemed to really enjoy the party.  In fact the post dinner conversation at my dinner table was what type of party we should have next year.  My neighbor told me today that her husband discussed that same thing with her yesterday.  Apparently they are excited for next years Themed Party!!!  

Thank you for following along with my Event Wednesday posts. They were fun for me share with you!  I will be back tomorrow with another new project to share.



9 comments:

Jayne said...

Hello MFS! You and Bethany look amazing in your dresses....and how wonderful all your guests dressed up too! Looks like you all had a riot and your attention to all the details was incredible. Loved your props and obviously so did everyone else!
Thanks for sharing
Hugs
Jayne x

Stephanie said...

Looks like a fabulous time was had by all. Everyone looked wonderful, especially you and your family. Love all your details.

snappy scrappy said...

Wow...fab party...excellent pics!!

scootingranny said...

What a wonderful, fun party! Kudos to you for hosting such a special event for your family and friends!

lovemypaper said...

Super cute great idea!

Brenda said...

You all looked amazing in your costume Susan! Your party looked like so much fun and everyone looked like they had an amazing time too! You throw the best parties my friend!! I think I gained weight just seeing part of the foot table. lol I'm glad that you all have a fabulous evening!!

DonnaMundinger said...

What a fabulous party and indeed you and Bethany stole the show in your gorgeous gowns. Looks like everyone had a ball! Have you recovered yet? LOL xxD

shelly said...

oh susan how fun! thanks for sharing i really enjoyed the pics and commentary :)

Scrapping Girl said...

This looks like it was SO much fun!!!!!! It was fun to see all your pics of the outfits and decorations. And the menu made me hungry-it looked wonderfully delicious!
Love the playing card placemats especially!
Michelle