Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Poinsettia Christmas Card - Hybrid


Hello everyone!  I am off to an early start today, sharing a Christmas card I made during my last weekend at the lake.  Doug and I went to see the new Bond movie yesterday afternoon, Skyfall.  I should admit that we are James Bond junkies (he owns all of the books and movies) - though I did choose to take my potty break during his "lady in the shower" scene.  For those of you who are not Bond fans, fear not, I did not just reveal a crucial plot point - there are always some version of this scene in all Bond movies.  The film was quite enjoyable - we got additional background on James Bond and Judi Dench's "M" (I do like character driven movies).  I did, however, find the villain to be semi-comedic.  That being said, I enjoyed the movie greatly.  We grabbed Quiznos for dinner and then I found I needed a nap!  Such an exhausting day!  So yes - I am sharing a card I made at the lake.... How was that for a long winded explanation?


I began with cardstock from the Close To My Heart Pear and Partridge paper set.  This is a lovely Christmas paper set and I have used it repeatedly this fall in varying combinations for Christmas cards.  The paper set retails for $9.95.  Also available are two Workshops on the Go set featuring Pear & Partridge products and CTMH Stamps and accessories.  One of the Workshops on the Go includes everything you need to make 15 Christmas cards and the other is a scrapbooking kit.  Both are wonderful and can streamline your Christmas papercrafting.


I referred to this as a hybrid card in my title because I did not use my usual Cricut cuts combined with CTMH stamps (though I DID use a CTMH stamp on this card), but instead I used Spellbinder die cuts, stamps and a CTMH stamp.  I combined my toys for greater flexibility.  Actually the truth is I find I do not use my Spellbinder dies as frequently as I should simply because I do use my Cricut and Silhouette Cameo so often.  But I do like my Spellbinder and therefore I made a concerted effort to use the Spellbinders dies on my last lake weekend.

On this card I used the poinsettia die cuts and coordinating stamps (with white ink!) and the fun tag shape.  I cut several of the poinsettia layers, stamping them all, then assembled two poinsettias for my card.  I added leaves and the shaped label - stamping the Dec 25th circle from the CTMH stamp set below - Perfect Fit - Holidays. 

Instead of ribbon, I used the printed trim on the edge of the paper and added gems to the flowers.  This helped keep the card flat for mailing.


Now that I have told you about my Spellbinders I am going to share a not-so-secret tip:  You can make this same card using your CTMH Cricut Artiste cartridge!  There is a poinsettia cut on the cartridge as well so some lovely label shapes!  You don't need Spellbinders - get out you Cricut and cut away!!


Don't forget about the CTMH Hurricane Sandy donations and the monthly customer special.  For more information click HERE or see yesterday's blog post.

Thanks for stopping by today for my long winded Christmas card write up/movie review.  Ahhh, such a multi-tasking blog!!  I will be back tomorrow with a layout to share.


3 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

So pretty!! Lee-Ann :)

Beckie said...

Gorgeous. LOVE the poinsettias.


Be blessed, Beckie
Stampin' Up Ind Demo
http://justbcreativecrazy.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Very pretty, Susan. I love that poinsettia. Beautiful label too. I love my spellbinders too.