Monday, November 12, 2012

Gobble-Gobble Turkey Mantle Decor


Hello everyone.  Happy Bitten By The Bug 2 Monday -and- Turkey Challenge!!  As we move toward Thanksgiving I am so pleased that our lovely design team member, Brenda, selected a turkey as this week's challenge cut.   For those of you who may choose to join us in the weekly challenge (we love it when you do that!), you may use any turkey from any Cricut cartridge and create any type of project (layout, card, home decor project, etc).  I created this crazy 3-D turkey for my mantle, to replace a Halloween item!



My friend Ms. Sally has a history with turkey scrapping that brings smiles to the faces of some of my scrapbook girlfriends!  So turkey papercraft has a special place in my heart.  - Private note here - Sally, this turkey may have been named after your turkey - he became frustrating during assembly!  But assemble him I did!

I used two cartridges to create this turkey, Cricut Artiste and Thanksgiving.  I cut the turkey head and chest from the turkey on the Thanksgiving cartridge.  I welded two turkeys together, mirror image, and cut them out.  I trimmed away most of the body and attached the head and chest to a circle cut from the same cardstock.

Using Cricut Artiste, I cut three different rosettes at three different sizes.  I cut two sections for each rosette and glued them together before scoring.  I inked the edges, scored and folded the sections.  After gluing two sections per rosette together, I used quick drying heavy glue and glued circles to the middle of each rosette, front and back, to hold them together.


After all of the parts had completely dried, I applied glue to the circles and stacked the layers together, topped with the turkey body.  The swirly flourishes are also from the Thanksgiving turkey cut - so I decided to tuck those between layer and add them to the design.

I finished the turkey by drawing in his face, coloring his face and "chin", and adding bakers twine around the turkey's body!  Note to self - add googly eyes to the turkey before Thanksgiving!!!



I know my photos are not the greatest, but this turkey is about seven inches tall and looks really cut in the fall decor on my fireplace mantle! 

Thanks for stopping by Busy with the Cricky today. Please consider joining us at BBTB2 for the weekly challenge - just add your turkey project under the linky on the BBTB2 site!


For more information on the Cricut Artiste cartridge and numerous cuts available on this cut, please visit my Close To My Heart on-line store HERE.



Help those affected by Hurricane Sandy


**To show our support of Red Cross relief efforts for those areas of the US severely affected by Hurricane Sandy, Close To My Heart will donate $1 for every Stamp of the Month set sold as a part of this promotion during November.**




The November Stamp of the Month is called Capture the Date. This set is fabulous and could be used for calendars, pocket calendars, scrap pages, invitations, cards, etc. I know you would love to have this stamp set as part of your stamp collection.

The SOTM retails for $17.95 but as always, with a $50.00 order, the Stamp of the Month can be added to your cart during check out for only $5.00!!!





NOVEMBER CUSTOMER SPECIAL

There is also a nice special this month at Close To My Heart: In November, you’ll get something extra when you buy the Stamp of the Month—50% off another stamp set! When you qualify for and buy the November Stamp of the Month set, Capture the Date, you’ll receive another stamp set* of your choice for 50% off—it’s like two promotions in one! The versatile Capture the Date stamp set is great for any layout, card, invitation, or calendar, and now you can choose another stamp set at half-off for more wonderful papercrafting. Get Capture the Date and then capture the savings today!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding. Love how you combined cartridges. I

DonnaMundinger said...

Love, love, LOVE it! I had thought of something similar, but not all the layers which really make it fabulous! Gorgeous papers! xxD

Jayne said...

Wow Susan...love your mantle turkey! Now that is what you call creative.
Jayne x

Linda Kaiser said...

OMG!!! This is amazing! I am going to feature your beautiful turkey as part of my Fab Five Friday post. I love it!!

Linda

Carole Beath said...

There are no words.... oh well, yes there are...Holy Moley, this turk is fabby. Look at the papers that create his fancy feathers. Awesome stuff.
Hugs
Carole

Stephanie said...

Susan, I am in awe. This is so special. I love your turkey. The papers, colors, cuts you used. They are all perfect. What a regal mantle bird.

Brenda said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! This is so cool and I just love the vibrant colors of your papers!!! I'm almost speachless Susan! Almost being the key word though. lol I think this is just so awesome and I can bet it looks just fabulous on your mantel!! I am just adoring those papers-my mouth is drooling. lol As usual you don't disappoint with any project especially this one! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

This site is really cool! I found here alot of information that I was looking for. I am really happy to be a part of This site!

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Wow you knocked my socks off- well actually my slippers. LOL This is stunning, amazing and so creative. I love the papers you used and all the dimension. This is so a why didn't I think of that project. It is turkeylicious.

Tina M said...

Your Turkey is FANTASTIC! I love the paper colors too :)
thansk so much for sharing :)

shelly said...

wow! awesome project as always susan.