Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Advent Calendar - CTMH Kit With Extras



Hello everyone!  I have so been looking forward to sharing this project with you since I completed it last Saturday!  This advent calendar was so easy to make - seriously! - using the Close To My Heart Workshop On The Go Advent Calendar kit.  Everything you need, except the Cricut Artiste cartridge, black ink and glue, come in the basic kit.  With the Workshop On The Go Advent Calendar kit you can create the basic Advent Calendar project pictured below.  Very cute, right?


Because I like to kick-it-up a notch, I decided to take my Advent Calendar Workshop On The Go to the next level.  I changed one drawer color and I added additional details using Cricut cuts from the Art Philosophy cartridge and assorted stamps (including the Art Philosophy stamp set).  I also added ribbons and twine to dress up a few drawers. 

Materials used to create my Advent Calendar:

From CTMH-
Assorted tiny Christmas stamps

Additional materials:
Twill Ribbon
Gem strips
Artificial greenery
Pop dots
Hot glue gun

As I stated above, I began with the basic Advent Calendar Workshop On The Go (WOTG).  Using my Cricut machine and the Cricut Artiste Cartridge I followed the instruction in the WOTG and cut 25 drawer pieces.  I used the cardstock included in the kit, cutting five drawers in each color.  After completing the cuts I decided to change the color of one set of drawers - I substituted Colonial White cardstock drawers for the brown, using CTMH Colonial White cardstock so that the "weight" of the cardstock would match the other drawers.



I continued following the instructions and using the stamps provided in the kit, I stamped the borders and numbers onto the cardstock drawers. Next the drawers were scored and the chipboard accents were added. Per the WOTG instructions, instead of using glue or other traditional adhesive, I used Liquid Glass to adhere all of pieces together. While Liquid Glass was designed to be a high glass finish, it also is a FABULOUSLY effect, very permanent glue. I used Liquid Glass on the chipboard pieces and on the drawers themselves during assembly.


The flowers that I used on my Advent Calendar were cut using the Art Philosophy cartridge and stamped with the coordinating flower in the Art Philosophy stamps.  I used a foam mat and a stylus tool and shaped the flowers and leaves.  I then added gems to the center of the flowers and affixed the flowers and leaves to a few of the drawers.


I used the same basic technique for the flowers on top of the Advent Calendar, except I did not cut leaves and instead cut a small version of the same flower to create layered flowers.  The smaller top layer of flowers were also stamped with the Art Philosophy flower stamp so that only the center of the stamp appeared on the small flowers.  The layered flowers were then hot glued to the faux greenery.


I covered the outside of the Advent Calendar box with CTMH Pear and Partridge cardstock.  I measured the width of the sides then added 1/4 inch to wrap around the back before cutting my cardstock.  Working on one side at a time, I applied a thin coat of Liquid Glass to the outside of the calendar box before applying the cardstock and smoothing.  I repeated this process until all four sides were covered (see photo 1 at the top of the page).  After the Liquid Glass had dried, I applied a very thin coat of Liquid Glass over the cardstock covered sides for added protection and a slight gloss.  I finished the box/frame portion of the Advent Calendar by adding strips of red gems around the edges to frame the drawers.  And of course I used Liquid Glass to adhere the gem strips to the box.

After letting the calendar box completely dry, I inserted the drawers into place.  I then cut a short length of faux greenery and hot glued the greenery to the top of the calendar box.  A length of one inch wide ribbon was looped through the greenery before the 3D flowers were added.

I truly like this project so much.  The Workshop On The Go Advent Calendar is not difficult at all to assemble and the extra embellishments were also easily assembled and applied.  I HIGHLY recommend that Advent Calendar Workshop On The Go kit - I had such a fun time building this project and I will continue to enjoy it each December for years to come!


9 comments:

ottersln said...

Gorgeous!

Carole Beath said...

Ooooooh mmmmmyyyy, where do I begin?.... this is simply gorgeous... each and every detail is Susan-Fantatic. Love it.
Carole

Sandi said...

Susan beautiful advent calendar, wow the work that went into that, hugs

Janice said...

Holy cow, that is awesome. Gotta have that kit now. TFS. i love your blog and visit several times a week for inspiration. Janice West

Brenda said...

This is beautiful Susan! I love how it all came together!! This caught my eye in the new catalog right away. lol I love it to pieces!!

DonnaMundinger said...

Really love the extras you've added to this gorgeous calendar! Fabulous! xxD

Sharon Chapman said...

Just saw your advent calendar and I think yours turned out beautifully! I'm working with some girls on theirs this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sharon
www.paperfiesta.blogspot.com

holidaze89 said...

I guess advent calendar on the go no longer
Myrnie@sbcglobal.net
Myrniegailgreen@gmail.com

holidaze89 said...

I guess advent calendar on the go no longer
Myrnie@sbcglobal.net
Myrniegailgreen@gmail.com