Monday, May 28, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Happy Memorial Day!  I hope that each of you has a wonderful day of remembrance with family and friends planned.  We are looking forward to a busy but nice Memorial Day, or rather a nice continuation of our Memorial Day weekend.  So far this weekend we have enjoyed warm (hot!) weather, work in our yard, dinner with friends, and far too much food (especially given that I am dieting).  Monday we plan to attend a neighbor's afternoon party and enjoy the company of our older son, who is coming to town for a job interview.  Oh, did I forget to mention Monday evening's grilled steaks, Italian potato salad, balsamic green beans and Eton Mess shared with 2/3 of our children?  (If I do a nice table there will be a post tomorrow!).


So even with all of the Memorial Day/weekend celebrating going on today is still Monday and that means it is also a Bitten by the Bug 2 Monday!  Our challenge cut of the week was selected by my very talented design team sister, Julia Moss.  Julia suggested that instead of a specific Cricut cut that we once again go with a weekly theme.  This week's theme is GARDEN.  We had to create a project that included cuts we might see in our gardens.

I am not a vegetable gardener, unlike many of my family members before me, so I did not go with a vegetable garden theme.  I think God put that Farmer's Market downtown for a reason and I have no problem visiting it (and the local super markets) for my fruit and veggie needs.  That being said, I do LOVE flowers!  When we purchased our house it was still being completed by the builder and this gave us a lot of freedom with our landscaping.  My goal was to have something in the yard in bloom year around.   Between shrubs, trees, and flowers we have managed to meet my goal!   The plants with the longest blooming season are my Knockout roses.  I have three colors of knockouts and I love them. So for my layout I chose roses!



I used only two cartridges to create this layout, Close to My Heart's Art Philosophy and Martha Stewart's Seasonal Cake Art.  I cut the word Beautiful using MS Seasonal Cake Art, and every other cut on this layout page was cut using the Art Philosophy cartridge.  It really is the Renaissance cartridge in that it does it all!

I started the layout with a vague idea of roses on a flourish.  I found this great flourish on Art Philosophy and then I used the AP roses on the flourish.  In the lower right corner of the layout I added a little button banner, also cut with AP, and the word You - which completes the phrase "Beautiful You".   The photo mats were two shaped cuts from AP.  And do I even need to tell you where those beautiful butterflies come from?  Art Philosophy, of course.  



I enhanced the layout with fibers by adding strips of lace and ribbon across the page along with some twine around the photo mats and on the buttons.  I used white rub-ons on the top of the page and Prima gem swirls over the flourish cut. I finished the layout with liquid pearl accents and the offset matted photo of my beautiful daughter, Bethany!


Thanks for stopping by today.  Remember that you too can join the fun of the weekly challenge and play along with us at BBTB2.  For more details visit the BBTB2 website

I hope that you will be stopping by later in the week - I have something special for you to announce on Friday!!!

Once again I wish you a wonderful Memorial Day!!!





15 comments:

hilda marrero said...

Wonderful layout

Sandi said...

Gorgeous Layout, Happy Memorial Day, hugs

Carole Beath said...

Susan, this is just gorgeous.... I love the papers,the flowers are so so fantastic, and the photograph is wonderful.
Carole

Jayne said...

Beautiful layout.
Jayne x

DonnaMundinger said...

And beautiful she is! Gorgeous layout and pic. Sounds like you're having a fab weekend. Wish it would warm up here. xxD

Jeri said...

Fabulous LO, Susan. In fact, I love it so much I just may scraplift this one for my granddaughter's graduation gift scrapbook I'm working on. I hope you don't mind if I take inspiration from your beautiful design.

Stephanie said...

This is so pretty. Love all the details, gorgeous flowers.

Brenda said...

Gorgeous lo Susan! I so love all your layouts but this one is just beautiful with the roses! Love all the soft beautiful colors and the pic is just a beautiful as the layout. I have only one knockout rose but my wish is to get somemore sometime. They are just so beautiful and give long lasting blooms. Hugs

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

Susan..Hey Sweetie Friend..Love all of the details..I can just smell your roses...Of course u already know I think your daughter is pretty like her Momma..Hugs, Krista

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Susan this is so gorgeous and so many wonderful details. Your daughter is so beautiful and the layout really highlights her wonderful picture. The butterflies, roses and banner are so cute. And I totally agree Art Philosophy is the best.

Julia Moss said...

Stunning layout and such beautiful details.

~JulieH~ said...

Bethany is indeed a beauty Susan and what a stunning layout Ilove all the pretty oink roses on the flourishes framing the lovely photo.
Hugs
Juliex

debwaycreations.com said...

A gorgeous layout. I love the Art Philosophy cart too. It really does have everything on it.

Penniannie said...

Susan...You come up with the cutest projects, this layout is georgeous and your Daughter is the most beautiful flower of all...

XX
penny

Glenda said...

Beautiful layout of your beautiful daughter! Love the papers, colors, and the wonderful cuts of AP. The roses are gorgeous!
Glenda