Monday, February 6, 2012

A Valentine's Gift with Sweethearts and BBTB2


Hello everyone!  With Valentine's Day just around the corner I thought I would share an easy gift idea which I created for this week's Bitten by the Bug 2 challenge.  Our challenge cut this week was selected by my design team sister, Shelly.  Shelly asked the design team to use one of the tag options on the Sweethearts cartridge. I selected this sweetheart couple to use for my tag.


Using Cricut Craft Room, I designed a double layer tag on which to display my romancing couple.  The bottom layer tag was cut with a bright red Swiss dot cardstock.  The top layer was cut in a subtle pink and white stripe. 

I placed several copies of the clothes and hair cut on the virtual mat, then used the Hide Select Contour feature to remove repeat cuts. By using the special feature I was able to remove specific parts of the cut so that I could create a portion of the image in a single color without having to cut the entire cut over and over again in each color. As you can see in the photo below, the full cut includes eleven cuts.  



By using the Hide Select Contour feature I cut the man's hair and shoes with the woman's skirt, the woman's top and shoes were cut together,  and each of the following were cut individually - the skin colored layer of the couple, the woman's hair, and the man's shirt and slacks.  I cut the icon image in brown, as only the table and chairs would show under the other layers.  Below the couple I added the xoxo cut from the Tie the Knot cartridge. The photo below shows my cutting mat after using the HSC feature. 



I created a border for the candy canister by welding together a line of the xoxo cuts.  Originally I planned to have a double layer cut but in the end I was happy with how the red shadow cut looked on the jar. 


I filled the jar with Godiva Valentine truffle and used organdy ribbon to tie around the lid and secure the tag to the jar.  A perfect gift for my Valentine - Mr. Doug is a chocoholic and will love the truffles.


Thanks for stopping by today.  I will be back this week with more cruise layouts to share.  I will also be working on wedding favor tags and may share that project this week also. 

7 comments:

DonnaMundinger said...

Adorable tag and YUMBO on the truffles. Lucky Doug! xxD

Linda said...

Great gift idea. Thank you for sharing. Is it possible for you to make this a CCR cut file?
Linda in Stanwood

Julia Moss said...

Amazingly beautiful tag! Great Job!

**Treefrog** said...

Oh Yummy Susan, love Godiva (heck I just love chocolate, lol) This is one of my favorite images on this cart so cute!
((Hugs)) Theresa

Staying Crafty said...

Super duper cute!

Carole Beath said...

Susan, what a perfect tag to hang along side of that yummy candy.
Carole

shelly said...

susan your tag is the sweetest :)what a neat extra to the gift itself :) have a fantastic day :)