Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lighting Up the Evening with Cricut Lanterns


Inspired by Cricut's recent lantern posts I decided to try my hand (and my Cricut) at creating my own lanterns.  My Friend Kathy's (MFK) son is getting married next month and the bride-to-be requested a few lanterns for the outdoor area.  She requested the lanterns in red with white vellum.


This was my prototype lantern.  I used Cricut Craft Room and two cartridges to create these unique lanterns, Art Philosophy (of course) and Ornamental Iron.  The design involved a great deal of welding and careful placement of cuts, but I think the end result was well worth the effort.  I have decided that when I produce the lanterns to be used at the wedding I may add a bit of thin wire around the top inside edge to help the lanterns retain their square edges. 

I added an additional square of vellum to the bottom of the lantern to allow for the insertion of a battery powered tea candle.  In the dark the tea light created a nice glow effect through the vellum. 



Thanks for stopping by Busy with the Cricky today.

7 comments:

Sandi said...

Oh what a festive outside those will make. Hugs

KTSimms said...

Amazing!! These lanterns are so beautiful!!

Scrappin Dhilly said...

Your lantern is amazing. Your friends will love these, such a beautiful project!

Thirty One said...

Hi there, I found your blog while looking for scrap book creators and I thought you have lots of fun ideas. I have added your banner to my new blog and hope that you can come be a follower while I am building a folowing, Buzzin B Scrapbookers Thanks so much, Be Blessed, Brenda

Pkrausen said...

I love these, they will look beautiful for the wedding!

DonnaMundinger said...

Really pretty! How fun for a wedding. Missed you this week at BBTB2. You okay? xxD BTW, we're on a bit of a rampage to stomp out word verification in light of the new impossible to decipher words. Hope I get it right this first time or I give up. xx

Annette said...

These are perfect for the event!

Annette
mymindsdustbunnies.blogspot.com