Friday, September 23, 2011

Playing with Stamps, Embossing Powders & Shrink Film


My Cricut had a HUGE work out on Wednesday - three and a half hours of constant cutting.  I had designed bulletin board borders and fill for my future daughter in law's classroom.  Crissie is a theater teacher so I used tickets as the theme.  Most teachers need a word wall - words that apply to their area of study.  For part of the border I cut Crissie's theater words in the tickets, backing the tickets in a contrasting color, filling in the negative areas (middle of D, P, O, etc), making the words readable.  I also made large, super-sized tickets for Crissie to use a mats for her photos of Broadway shows.  There were more cuts, some very detailed and some very simple. 

My son was in town for two days and I wanted to send Crissie' bulletin board cuts home with him to save myself a trip to the post office (I hate going to the post office!).  To wind up this long tale, I taught Aaron to use my Cricut with Design Studio.  I had to cut one page in my design over and over again so I decided Aaron could do this.  He did great, and cut the ticket borders while I worked on the word wall tickets. 

Aaron left for home a bit later than he planned, but with all of the materials for Crissie's bulletin boards in tow. 


After that work out I decided that my Cricut had earned a rest.  Actually I intended to cut pieces for a card and use an older set of Close to My Heart stamps, but I started playing with the stamp set and never used the Cricut.

I was using an older fall stamp set.  I begin by stamping a solid pumpkin in embossing ink onto textured cardstock.  I then used three colors of embossing powders to highlight and define the shape.  I used scissors to cut out the stamped image. 

I used oval nestabilities and cut out matting for my pumpkin.  And at this point I took a serious detour through - play - with - toys - in - a - new - way - land!

I came across a package of shrink film and decided to play with that.  Actually at first I wondered if I could stamp on acetate and let it dry.  It never dried nicely.  So I moved on to shrink film.  I stamped the pumpkin shaped word overlay stamp (the same size as the embossed pumpkin) onto the film.  I cut out the pumpkin and then used my embossing gun to shrink the film.  It looked good, except it needed color. 

I stamped the base pumpkin and colored in the shape with orange Copic marker.  I then stamped the words over the marker.  After shrinking the pumpkin with the heat embossing gun I had created the pumpkin charm on the front of the card!


Basically I spent three hours playing with embossing powders, stamps, acetate, shrink film and ink... And ALL I managed to create was one Thanksgiving card.  (Shaking my head at myself) ....  I am a bit amused and a bit annoyed with myself.  On the other hand, I did have a learning opportunity with the shrink film.

7 comments:

meredemaison said...

It sounds like you discovered a lot on your 3 hour journey and I for one can't wait to see the next project from you learning experience! TFS!

June Houck said...

Susan, this is beautiful! I have days like that…the 17 hour ho-hum card…but this card (even Cricut-less LOL) is truly spectacular. The shrinky pumpkin on top of the beautifully embossed pumpkin POP. Your papers are stunning as well.

JustYolie said...

Fantastic Fall card...the Shinky pumpkin looks like a store bought charm! Love it!!

ChatterScene.com said...

Fabulous! I just love it!

Jackie said...

Awesome card, congrats on being on the DT! Looking forward to your ideas and creativity.
Thank you
www.inspired-by-scrapping.blogspot.com

DonnaMundinger said...

WOW! that sounds like some marathon! What, no pix? LOL Geee, you know what you can get your son for Christmas, now. WooHoo! As for your fun experiment, fabulous! Love the way it turned out. Wonder what I did with my shrink film. that charm is adorable! xxD

Frances said...

That pumpkin which you used the shrink film on is definitely the eye-catcher in this work of art!