Thursday, September 1, 2011

Christmas Card Prototype with Scraps



My husband and I are "old school" in many ways. For all of our techno gadgets and computer sauvé, we still send out a lot of Christmas cards - using real mail - the post office - stamps and everything. In recent years I have cut the list down to about 70-75 cards. With that number in mind, and knowing that I like to make my cards myself, I have been looking for a simple Christmas card design that I can mass produce for the bulk of our Christmas card list

I recently ran across a die by Sizzix - Bigz XL Die : ALBUM, CHRISTMAS TREE BY RACHAEL BRIGHT. I found this die on a GREAT sale at Oh My Crafts. The normal price on this die is $34.95 but I found it on sale $8.00!! Seriously, $8.00!!  As I added the links to this post I found that the price of the die is now 3.5 times what I paid for it.  Guess I should have shared my find sooner!

This die actually cuts the pieces for an album, but I found that by not cutting any "pages" and just going with the front and back pieces I could use this as a Christmas card. I cut this sample card using scraps only and I would change the colors/prints in my final cards. With that said, tell me what you think of this as a Christmas card!! I could add a small nestability cut stamped with a "Merry Christmas" sentiment to the lower right edge of the tree. But overall, I am looking for feedback on what you think of this design.  I appreaciate any feedback.  Thanks


10 comments:

bonkdawn said...

I think it is beautiful! I mass produce my cards, as well, and always make a prototype before hand to see if my idea will be easy to do in large numbers. I think the design is nice and clean as is; perhaps put the sentiment inside? I am wondering what size envelope you will use, too? Great job - I love it!

TenSGal said...

This is so cute! I'm with you...we still send out cards each year and I also LOVE receiving them!!!

angie ashuk said...

Great card. I'm not a card maker :( nor do I send Christmas cards...but I would love to receive one of these.

Debbie (from Sugar Land) said...

Love it, but with the new postage rules, that button will make the postage $1.71 instead of .44 if someone at the post office notices. It will also get caught in the postal machines and tear some of your envelopes... So, you might want to make the top embellishment flat for the ones you are mailing.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Beautiful card. I too make mine and have already mad 28 of the 118 that I need. I kept mine super simple with a vintage look and hope that it is loved by all that receive it. I will be doing the same thing as you though posting it soon on my blog to get opinions.

Scrapper69 said...

It's very pretty Susan! I like the cut! I too have cut down my Christmas list and I'm "Old School" when it comes to sending out cards.... I hadn't realized that people got lazy and stop sending them out... I don't know why but I LOVE getting them and sending them.... I guess I never got the memo! LOL

Theresa

DonnaMundinger said...

Darling design and what a fab deal you got! Love that you can use scraps, too! It's a keeper. xxD

~JulieH~ said...

Oh I love this card! Susan that die is going to go on my list, I have started collecting quite a few of the XL dies lately as we have been having some great prices on them in the UK too!
Hugs
Juliexx

flowerdisco said...

susan, i think you should just leave as is and save the sentiment for the inside.
i recently ordered some items from sizzix and they still unopened :( i am waiting to re-organize my room this month and then start using some of them.

dianne said...

I love your card!!! You are an enabler!! Santa is going to get tired reading my wish list;).