Monday, August 29, 2011

Heritage Tree Halloween Scene with BBTB2


It's another Monday with another Bitten by the Bug 2 challenge and monthly blog hop!!  If you are following the blog hop you arrived here from Penny's blog, PenniAnne's.   Our adorable design team sister, Julie Huxter of Huxter's House, selected this week's challenge cut, Tree 1 from the Heritage cartridge.


When I first looked at the challenge cut, my first thought was “Family Tree”.  I designed a sweet heritage-family tree scrap layout, but I was never hugely excited about the page.  Last Thursday – Saturday I attended Creating Keepsake’s Charlotte Convention in Charlotte, NC and saw some really pretty heritage/family tree cardstock lines, but I did not purchase any.  Friday night while in bed at the Westin, it suddenly came to me.  The card was completely visualized in my head.  I was so afraid that I would forget the card idea before I arrived home!!


I began by cutting the tree, both the icon and shadow cuts at 4.25 inches. Using finger daubers and assorted brown, tan and black ink pads, I added shadows and highlights to the top layer of the tree. I then glued the two layers of trees together and added white pen highlights.

Next, using white card stock, I cut the base card. I welded two 5.5 x 4.25 inch rectangles together and then I welded a 5.5 x 2 inch rectangle to the two rectangles. I scored the card at 4.25 inches (middle fold), at 8.5 inches and at 9.5 inches (to create the fold on the lower front of the card).

Using the same cutting guide as above, I removed one of the two large rectangles and cut a rectangle in the dot cardstock for the front of the card. The dotted cut measured 5.5 x 6.25 inches. I scored at 1 inch and again at 2 inches (to cover the fold at on the bottom front of the card). The dot cardstock was then affixed to the card.

I added pop dots to the back of the tree cuts and added the tree to the card.



Next I cut a 2.75 inch moon in golden orange cardstock.  I inked the edges of the circle with a golden brown ink and added a few black dots.  I affixed the moon to the card with my ATG runner. I then cut a small flying witch from Happy Hauntings and pop dotted her to the front of the moon. 


I cut a 5.5 inch wide iron fence from the Heritage cartridge. Using light blue ink, I added moon light highlights to the fence before affixing it to the front of the card. The bottom of the fence was covered with a Halloween ribbon.

Using punches, I created a triple layer HAPPY HALLOWEEN tag for the lower front edge of the card. Once again I added moon light "highlights" to the tag.



Inside the card I used my new Close to My Heart Halloween stamp set and added the sentiment, Have a Wicked Halloween.  The sentiment is stamped onto green drippy edged cardstock affixed to the same dot cardstock that was used on the front of the card.


I know I mentioned a blog hop….. And you know what that means, right? Blog Candy! I am once again offering FABULOUS blog candy provided by the continuing generosity of CUSTOM CROPS. Custom Crops is offering a $20 gift voucher to my blog candy winner. All you have to do to be registered for the blog candy is be a blog follower of my blog and leave a comment under this post. I will be drawing a winner on Friday.

Custom Crops is one of my favorite on-line scrap goods stores. For me they are a go to source for all things Cricut and paper crafting related. Right now there is a great Back to School sale as well as Sizzix sale at Custom Crops. The Heritage cartridge is one of the Cricut cartridges included in the Back to School sale.

Once you have become a follower and left a comment below, and you have checked out Custom Crops sale, you will be ready to continue on with the blog hop. Your next stop is at the lovely blog of my adorably sweet design team sister, Krista. Krista is sure to inspire you with her Heritage tree project!


Remember that the BBTB2 Design Team loves it when you decide to play along with us on the weekly challenge.  You have two weeks to create your own Tree project and post it under the Heritage Tree post at Bitten by the Bug 2!

Have a great Monday. I will be back tomorrow with details of my seven classes and other CKC experiences!

47 comments:

angie ashuk said...

love all the detail on the card.

Jeri said...

Great little scene you've created, Susan. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only person who comes up with designs while in bed. LOL Love the stairstep design and the witch with the moon behind her. Fabulous job!

Debbie (from Sugar Land) said...

wow! This is an awesome card! Thanks for sharing with us.

Scrapbooking for Joy said...

I don't know if I'm suppose to say this out loud, but your project is my favorite!!!! I just LOVE it all!! Colors, theme, design...EVERYTHING!!! I just adore Halloween and you did a fabulous job :))))

Brigitte said...

WOW, your card is awesome!!!! I'm not a fan of Halloween cards, but you made me change my mind! Fantastic job!
Hugs
Brigitte

Tami B. said...

This is a little off subject I know, but I was at CKC Charlotte and had a wonderful time. It was my first time to attend and hopefully will not be my last.

DonnaMundinger said...

Oh WOW, what rich colors! Fabulously spooky, girlfriend! I love it! xxD

Princess Hilda said...

super great!! this is awesome

princesshilda2012@yahoo.com

Eva said...

awesome card, glad you didn't forget before you got home to create it> I am a new follower
Eva :0)
evascrapslife(at)gmail(dot)com
http://evasscrapsncards.blogspot.com

Creative Cutter Room said...

This is a beautiful card! I love all of your detail. TFS Cathie
www.creativecutter.org

Carol said...

Fabulous card - love all the details, great layers! TFS

Carol
http://caroleesscrappinspot.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

WOW!!!!!!!! I love your card its amazing! thanks so much for sharing. Im a follower. thanks for the chance to win.
-jamie
babyblueangel_30@yahoo.com

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

My jaw just dropped from how amazing this card is with the detail all the way to the drippy green. Spook-tacular superb.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
http://CreatedbySunshineHoneyBee.blogspot.com

Susan said...

LOVE IT!!! those stair steps are always alot of work ~ you can pack so much detail into them. Yours is BEAUTIFULLY done!
SusanJ in Atlanta

ClassyDify said...

What an amazing card. It is so full of details! I think it is time for me to get back into cardmaking. TFS.

Katherine
www.classydify.blogspot.com
lightmypath@shaw.ca

Kathy Salido said...

This card is really just plain old fabulous!! I love all the layers and the detail. I especailly love the inside. Don't you just love this stamp set from CTMH! I am a new follower.
Kathy
salido99 at msn dot com
http://3spoileddogs.blogspot.com/

littlen said...

great card. love the way you did the tree. tfs. i'm a long time follower.
littlen44 at gmail dot com

Christina said...

Wicked details! Love it.

Maria said...

One word--FABULOUS!
Okay...a little more. Love the layers and depth, design, paper--everything :)

DIANA L. said...

Another word FANTABULOUS this is super I have never made a step card you did a great job on that and the colors are awesome I love that you did the punch in the green it looks like green slime dripping.
LOVE IT!!!!!]


DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Scrappin Rabbit Designs said...

Your card is amazing! I love all the work that you put into the tree. What a great idea. That punch for the inside of the card is so fun. You're so creative. :)

Tami
http://scrappinrabbitdesigns.blogspot.com/

Happyscrapin said...

Amazing! I love all the detail in your card and the colors are perfect. The inside of your card is awesome, I really like when crafters show the inside of their cards. TFS I am a follower.

happyscrapin@blogspot.com
plese.cathy@yahoo.com

Sharon said...

WOW!! Fantastic!!!!! Love it! :)

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

What an amazing card. So many awesome details. This is absolutely stunning!

Heather said...

WOW! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor! This is stunning! I really like the style of this card and I need to learn how to make it. Incredible piece of art here, Susan!!

Crayola58 said...

This is nothing short of spectacular.... the process is wonderful...that tree is amazing. I was glad to see a Halloween card too.
Hugs
Carole

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Super fun and spooky! Great details on this!

Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

callyannc said...

You never cease to amaze me! I love this! Spooktacular!!! I waish I could get my crafting on! In a rut! TFS CallyAnn(follower)
http;//callyanncraftycreations.blogspot.com

PinkBlingCrafter said...

WOWZERS!!! fabulous card!! You ladies are just fabulous with all your projects on this Hop!! I'm a new follower for sure and can't wait to see your next project!! TFS
Hugs

inhyderabadshop said...

I really didn't get what the blog is regards to, and its no way suits to my keyword nor services.......
inhyderabadshop
inhyderabadshop@gmail.com
http://www.inhyderabadmall.com/Cakes/

callyannc said...

I so wanna make a card like this! It is stunning! But alas mine would not even hold a candle to this! Adorable! TFS CallyAnn(follower)
http://callyanncraftycreations.blogspot.com

Hailey said...

Great project like always!!! I have a blog award for you at my blog!!
Hailey
cricutcrazygurr.blogspot.com

Kim. said...

Great Halloween card, brilliant cuts and colours used.
Please do not enter me into this giveaway thank you.
Kim xXx

SWalter said...

I love this card!!! great techniques!

Lori1brat said...

OH MY - I just LOVE everything about your card ! I love the layers, I love the colors, I love the theme. AMAZING. You blow me away !!!! :-)

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

This is awesome Susan..Krista

bonkdawn said...

Wow! Fabulous!

KayB said...

WOW! Like your project the best but shhhh don't tell the others! So much clean detail! ksantell@gmail.com. I am now a follower!

Samantha J Designs (Wife2TJ) said...

LOVE your card!!! Love the details and the witch flying by the moon :-) TFS!

http://penniannies-penniannie.blo

Tonya said...

This is AMAZING. The papers and the colors and the details. EVERYTHING is perfect! And then you decorated the inside too. I'm beyond impressed. You have out done yourself. Whoever gets this card is a very lucky person. WOW!

Donna Lee said...

These cards are some of my favorites to make. Love the entire card!

Kamiehoo said...

Wow! This is just fabulous!!!!!!

Cherie said...

OMG! What an amazing card! I love everything about it... no joke! Thank you so much for sharing!!

cherie.goyer at gmail.com
http://oneheartscrapper.blogspot.com

~JulieH~ said...

Oh that's you Jeri and me who dream up card designs in bed lol!
Susan this card is absolutely fantastic! I love the real Halloween spooky feel you havecreated with all your wonderful inking and to think you designed the card with your cricut too! Love everything, just amazing!!
Hugs
Juliexx

flowerdisco said...

I want to buy this card. can i? i love it so much!

Penniannie said...

Susan

What a fantastic card, its got the perfect Halloween feel...Awesome...

HUGS
Penny

Annette said...

The details on your card are really great. You always have such cool ideas:)