Monday, January 17, 2011

Love on a half shell?


Happy Monday.  I have a new card, a Valentine, to share with you today.  The challenge cut for the week at the Bitten by the Bug 2 blog was selected by my sweet, sweet design team sister, Krista.  Krista selected the Armadillo from the Birthday Bash cartridge, but then decided to also include a bird option.  I did not have the chosen cartridge so I used George and Basic Shapes and built my Armadillo the old school way - using geometric shapes welded together in George.


I am going to confess that I had no idea what to do with the Armadillo cut - but the idea of the Armadillo was so cute that I had to go with it.  In the end I decided to create a pink Armadillo and put her on a Valentine card.  

I was away for the weekend, on one of our scrappy girl lake adventures.  My friends tried to come up with Valentine puns for my card, but they were mostly lacking..... "I shell always love you", You're a shell of a Valentine", etc.  I think we should all keep our day jobs and NOT go into comedy or pun writing.


So instead of a "punny" tag, I decided to use part of the valentine circle set from the Cutting Cafe.  I layered a 1 inch circle over a 2 inch circle, creating a new center, but using the REMEMBER circle.  I inked the circle edges and matted them on two layers of Spellbinder Nestabilities, a Lacey Circle and a Scalloped Circle.


I did manage to complete quite a few projects last weekend.  I have several cards and layouts to share in the coming days.  In the meantime do go by BBTB2 and check out all of the armadillo and bird projects.  Also, be sure to hope over to the Cutting Cafe and shop the extensive line of printable stamps.

18 comments:

Margie said...

How stink in' cute, Susan! I love your pretty armadillo. I have the cart but haven't looked at it yet. I would have thought your critter came straight from the cart... She's perfect!!

Beckie W said...

I think you did such a great job on your armidillo. And yes it looks awesome in pink!!

Kristina said...

Your pink armadillo is very cute. How clever you are to be able to make it with George! I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've ever seen an armadillo on a Valentine's Day card, it's really cute! You just might be starting a new trend :)

Hugs

DonnaMundinger said...

Precious hon, and what a fab job you did in designing her! LOVE it! xxD

Debra said...

Oh, my goodness, Susan! I love it and it's so unusual and cute.

Crayola58 said...

Who could imagine that an Armadillo could be so so cute. This one took that task and won.
Hugs
Carole

jessica said...

You are so talented! Love the card today. I just wanted to let you know that I gave you a stylish blog award that I received today. The details are in a post on my blog. Have a great day!

Jeri said...

Love,love,love your feminine armadillo. Though how you came up with it using geometric shapes and the George cartridge is beyond me. I think you should have gone with "Your a shell of a Valentine". I laughed out loud reading that. Great job!!!

CelticWoman said...

Susan this is adorable, I have a sign in my studio that says, "there is nothing, nothing two women can't do by noon." But you give us an Armadillo and we work miracles, LOL. Hugs

**Treefrog** said...

Holy Cow, what you do with Design Studio and coming up with these amazing creations is beyond me! You go Girl! Love the Pink Armadillo and that pink pom pom fringe is too cute, along with his nose!
((Hugs)) Theresa

Amber said...

I have to say the idea of an armadillo totally grosses me out but your card is so adorable that you make them seem so cute. I absolutley love your card. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing!

Julia Moss said...

Wow, tremendous job. So darn creative!

Maria said...

I love the Valentine take on this--you made him cute ;-)

Bella and Aidee Mom said...

Refreshing..A happy girl..Good! Krista

Karen Pinsonat said...

You built this armadillo? WOW, very impressive!! Love this card :-)

Heather said...

I am amazed how some of you ladies can build shapes like this! This is so cute and I LOVE the papers you chose.

shelly said...

susan how creative! youre from scratch armadillo is so cute!

Regina Easter said...

what a adorable card Susan...I love it...hugs