Monday, October 11, 2010

Spooky Haunted House with Happy Hauntings


Happy BBTB2 Monday!  This week's challenge cut at BBTB2 was selected by me and it is the Haunted House cut(s) on the Happy Haunting cartridge.  The other designers are probably disparaging my name after cutting and assembling this adorable house; it was a bit of a challenge.  There are A LOT of cuts needed to create the haunted house, but I think the end result is well worth the effort.  The house has a place of honor on my coffee table.


I set up my cut file in Design Studio, cutting the house and all of the house elements at 7 inches.  If you choose seven inches, the cuts will just fit on a regular 12 x 12 cutting mat.  Only two colors of cardstock were utilized, black and yellow.  The yellow window cuts on the cartridge are great in that they are grouped on two keys.  The grouping makes it so that you never use more than one color of cardstock at a time on the cutting mat.  And where the cutting of the house is very easy, the assembling does take a while. 

I love the way this house is assembled.  I especially like that although it was cut at seven inches tall, the addition of the fireplace chimney and the widow's walk on top of the house add extra height.  Although this house was cut at seven inches, it "towers" to a finished height of twelve inches.


While the house itself is adorable (in a cool spooky way, of course), I added a few additional finishing touches to my haunted house.  When I set up my design studio file I selected the section of fence on Happy Hauntings and welded several lengths of fence together.  I created five rows of welded fences, enough to go around the edges of a 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock, my planned "yard".    I also cut the spooky 3-D tree from the HH cartridge (again at seven inches) to add a bit of fun to the yard area (see the photo below).

If you look at the photo above you will see round glittered roof shingles (photo above).  The shingles are not part of the cartridge house cuts.  I used a 3/4 inch circle punch to create the shiny shingled roof. It was tedious, but again the results were fabulous. I did not cover the entire roof, but covered sections and used the circles as gingerbread-type trim in other areas.


The final elements that I added to give the house my personal touch were the moon and witch cuts and the ghost.  I added the ghost to the widow's walk area of the house.  The moon and witch were glued together and then wired to the chimney.  The last two things I did to this project was to affix the house & fence to a 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock and add touches of purple Stickles to the house, birds and tree limbs.


Overall I really like my finished project.  My name may be mud with the other design team members, but I bet they are loving their haunted houses too.  Please do consider playing along with us and post a link to your project at the BBTB2 website.

21 comments:

Celeste B. said...

How amazing!!! Great job, I love it! :)

4kids4 said...

This looks incredible!! Love all of your extra touches...and that tree is very cool!! TFS!

~Sharon C.

DonnaMundinger said...

Fabulous Susan! You know how many times your name was said in vain this week? LOL Love ya! xxD

Alexis said...

wow! Talk about amazingly haunting! Fab!

CelticWoman said...

great project, hugs

Dakota Bear said...

WOW! That is a fantastic project.

Maria said...

Susan,

That is fantastic!!!
I remember doing something like that in a past life....maybe your house, Donna's house and mine could be friends!
Maria

Debbie H said...

Awesome job, I love it, don't think I have the patience to do all that tedious work though, very nice!

Beckie W said...

This is so so AWESOME!!! I can't believe how great this looks!

**Treefrog** said...

Susan this is absolutely AMAZING! After seeing everyones I really want to try one, lol! (But I still have the storage issues) I Love the glittery shingles you did for the roof, what a great idea! Boy so many neat ideas from you amazing gals, after seeing this it has my mind reeling.
((Hugs)) Theresa

Crayola58 said...

I never called you "Mud"... but I did just about walk away 4 times before I ended up with "something" to show.... I call mine "Haunted Garage" because I truly feel like my little house should be way behind the other fantastic houses. I gasped at all of them... So I guess I am saying thanks for selecting this cut even though I had to force myself to finish something. Your house is nothing short of FAN=tas-TIC.

Tammy said...

OMG! That is fabulous! Since "friending" you on FB and discovering your blog, you have inspired me to take some Cricut classes at my local scrapbook store! LOL I LOVE your projects. Hubs bought me a Cricut for Mother's Day and the only thing I've made with it was bridal shower invitations. Very rudimentary ones I might add. Now that I've seen all it's potential, I am fired up! I had NO idea! Looking forward to borrowing some of your ideas for the Cricky!

GiGi said...

This is AWESOME! I made the haunted house when I first got this cart but haven't had a chance to decorate it yet. I LOVE THE TILES ON THE ROOF! So cool!

Angie said...

Wonderful job! I have been wanting to try it out although I don't know that I will get to it this year. Awesome!

Julia Moss said...

Wow, Susuan....great haunted house. You did an outstanding job with the challenge....I on the other hand found it extremely, well...challenging!

Kim. said...

Oh wow how adorable is this, love it.
Kim xXx

Michelle said...

Hi Susan - I hope you don't mind but I featured you on my blog as my Tuesday Treasure because your work is AWESOME and I wanted to share it with others.

Heather said...

WOW! You are amazing!! I can't believe the extra detail you put on the roof!! What a gorgeous project. Thank you so much for choosing this. I had a lot of fun making it.

joeygirl86 said...

OMG this is just amazing!!! All the details are perfect! :)

pahandl said...

This is totally awesome. It is amazing how paper and creativeness can be so-real! Thanks for the inspiration.

Christel said...

Very cool! I really want this cartridge. Maybe after the holidays...