Friday, September 3, 2010

Working on "flat" Christmas cards to mail


I have been a bit of a slacker with my Christmas card schedule this year.  The DVD caused me to lose focus on my monthly Christmas card product schedule for several months in a row.  August became my "catch up" month.  I purchased the Creating Keepsakes kit, which since posting I have found more ways to personalize, and I started making flat cards.  Flat card, you ask?  Last year I was hit with a lot of extra postage due to the dimensional "bumpiness" on my cards.  The USPS does not like the dimensional cards!  So I have been working on attractive yet flat cards for mailing.


Through one of my CHA contacts I picked up two stamps that were designed to fit Nestabilities.  The stamp above used the nesties Christmas candle frame stamp.  I stamped the image in embossing ink, then added three colors of embossing powder to the image, green, gold and deep red.  After heat embossing the image I added three additional stamps in a SU ink - Merry Christmas from Stampin' Up and Peace on Earth and Joy from Technique Tuesday.  I then used my Copic markers and colored in the embossed image.  I like how delicate the image stamped, leaving me lot of room to color.  I also used a SU border punch along the bottom edge of the red matting then covered the layered seam with ribbon.


Inside the card I stamped a SU sentiment, perfect for a Christmas greeting. I also created a pocket for the left inside.  The pocket will hold a photograph and letter that we always include with our Christmas cards. And you will notice that the right side of the card contains lots of space for a hand written note.


Thanks to my friends Kathy (MFK) and Andrea I have a couple of personalized stamps for my cards.  I also have the stamp pictured above that was ordered from eBay, super cheap!  This stamp is a bit more elegant than my other personalized stamps so I thought it would be perfect for the Christmas Card.

I am hoping that the color, design and additional stamps will make up for the lack of dimension on the cards.... It will definitely make the USPS happier.

NOTE:  For those interested in my personalized stamp, this is a link to a seller on eBay:  http://shop.ebay.com/loongchai74/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

8 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Really nice...in Canada we have no problem mailing dimensional cards. I always pop dot etc. with no problems. I do watch the weight of the items however...no metal...too expensive to mail.

Dana said...

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get your personalized stamp? I would love to order one for myself.

http://iwycd.blogspot.com/

Cheryl Gaffney said...

I have the same problem with dimensional cards... I love them but USPS hates them! GRRR

TFS your beautiful cards!

Cheryl @ CardsbyCG.blogspot.com

GrannyCharlotte said...

Very nice cards. TFS.

Erica said...

I think you did well to make up for the lack of dimension. These look very nice and colorful. And anything to make the USPS (and your wallet) happier while still producing a beautiful card is fine by me!

Amy K said...

I love your idea for the pocket - at first I thought it was a pretty way to decorate up the inside, but then I read it was a pocket...even better!! TFS.

Brigitte said...

Great card! Thanks for the link. I will buy some of those stamps and they are great for stocking stuffer for crafters.

Beckie W said...

The card is iso beautiful. I can understand the extra postage and trying not to have that issue myself this year. HUbby actually had a conversation with me LOL