Monday, August 9, 2010

Sugar & Spice - Really?


This week's BBTB2 challenge cut is the Gecko/Lizard from the Life's A Beach cartridge.  The design team could use the cut in any way we wanted so I decided to make a layout.  I found these two fun photos of a a sweet little girl playing with the lizard she found at the beach.  I remembered that girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice; boys are snakes and snails and puppy dog tails.  I had a difficult time visualizing sugar and spice for this little cutie with the lizard on her nose!


I used five cartridges to create this layout:  Designer Calendar for the grid (with some hide contour action), Life's A Beach, Plantin Schoolbook for the photo mats, Graphically Speaking for the second half of the phrase, and Once Upon a Princess for the Sugar & Spice title.


I used Amy Chomas' pen holder and mini pens to create the top half of the title.  I used a pink glitter pen in the holder and selected cut.  By replacing the blade housing on my cricut with the mini pen holder housing, the cricut wrote the words instead of cutting them.  I love Amy's products. You can purchase your own products by clicking here.  I will tell you that I also use Amy's embossing set on one of the DVD projects!



I used a large prima flower over the sun, which photographed dark.  It is not as "mustardy" as the photo implies.  I also used my trusty white pen to add dashes on the layout.



The lizards/geckos were cut in three different papers.  I placed them in four different positions inside the grids on the page.

12 comments:

Ashley @ Bride on a Budget said...

What kind of white pen do you use? I'm on the search for a good one.

Susan said...

Hi Ashley - I use the Signo Uniball Pigment Ink - white - pen. You can get it at Custom Crops at this link: http://www.customcrops.com/product_info.php?&manufacturers_id=&products_id=232187479

This is my second one and I love them.

Susan

Linda said...

Oh my Is that a for real picture? I would have died.
Thanks for sharing
Linda in Stanwood

DonnaMundinger said...

How ADRABLE!!!! Love all of the bright print lizards and that sun is fab! The pictures are hilarious and the title is so perfect! xxD

Amy Chomas said...

This turned out too cute! Great job! So glad to see you using the new glitter gel pens! Amy

Amy Chomas said...

Thanks Susan! Saw the link lol! Don't blog after midnight!!! Amy

Jeri said...

Love the grid cut with the hidden contours. What a super idea, one I'll have to tuck away for future reference. Fantastic layout.

~JulieH~ said...

Oh what a fabulous layout! I love all the different coloured lizards and such a great way of using that grid! Love this!
hugs
Juliexx

Lainey said...

Aack! What a great photo and the LO is just perfect!! But I would've died seeing a lizard on her nose!

Amy K said...

Love this layout! I have Amy's embossing kit & love it. The gel pens are on my list next.

Beckie W said...

Awesome..yes it's always good to know us girls can play in the boys world too. You did a great job on the layout!

Heather said...

Wow! What a brave little girl! I love the border of lizards around the outside. This is a really cute page!